Edits on DVD+R do not work on other DVD player, is this normal.

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by mcaw, Apr 21, 2005.

1. mcaw

mcaw
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have a philips DVD recorder, and edited out the commercial breaks on a film. This is on a DVD+R disc. This disk plays fine on the DVD recorder, but on other DVD players the edits are just ignored, and all the commercial breaks are in the film. Is this the normal behaviour ?

2. ammar

ammar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    "Make Edits Compatible"

Its in one of the menus, and takes around 1 minute. Applies only to +R discs, not to +RW.

Good luck

:)

3. mcaw

mcaw
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have finalized this disk, so it will play on other dvd players, should I have "make edits compatible" before finalising.

4. mcaw

mcaw
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    My manual says that the "make edits compatible" is only available for +RW disks, not +R.

5. ammar

ammar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I believe (90%), yes that's correct. You see I have a Philips 890 but I hardly ever use +R, always +RW and then copy on PC to -R, and then re-use the disc and so on and so on.

This way I can wipe the whole disc or part of it if I dont like it and only "finalise" when 100% sure.

6. ammar

ammar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My apologies, I think you are right, the Make Edits Compatible is a +RW function and not a +R function.

Indeed edit on +R should be ok once you finalise.

In this case, I can only think of 2 things:

1 - Maybe you did not cofirm your edits, instead of pressing Ok, you pressed Exit or similar

2 - If the edits on the finalised disc play back fine on one machine but not another, then it could be a compatibility with +R issue from the reader machinhe.