Editor's Choice Awards – Best Projectors 2017 - article discussion

Can’t argue with most of that assessment, however most annoying (For me anyway) is that the Epson 9300 is a whacking great big hulk that rules it out for most domestic lounges, and in addition, even at normal viewing distance it sticks out like a sore thumb that it is not true 4K resolution, (Stick it by the side of a JVC and the resolution just becomes embarrassing) but as has been said many times resolution is not everything. (Not sure whether it’s because I wear glasses (Active 3D gives me a headache as well) but differences in resolution stick out like a sore thumb)

Should be interesting next year when we have the 2nd generation 4k DLP projectors available, as in many respects the 1st generation have laid the 1st boot into the 4K projector complacency.

Keep up the good work.

Bill

Do we have any idea of approximately when in 2018 the 2nd gen DLP projectors will be released?

I’m in the market for a 4K projector myself but finding it hard to find one that’s suitable with the specs I require within a reasonable price range.

...and in addition, even at normal viewing distance it sticks out like a sore thumb that it is not true 4K resolution, (Stick it by the side of a JVC and the resolution just becomes embarrassing)"

Don't the Epson 9300 and JVC 5900 in the article use equivalent 1920x1080 pixel shifting ? I'd expect them to yield similar results if set up correctly (from a resolution perspective).

Don't the Epson 9300 and JVC 5900 in the article use equivalent 1920x1080 pixel shifting ? I'd expect them to yield similar results if set up correctly (from a resolution perspective).
They do its just an attempt to get a rise out of people save a grand and buy the Epson

Epson downscales the 4K image before applying the magic, whereas the JVC applies the magic direct, as to whether you can see a difference, then for me it stands out like a sore thumb (Even without direct comparison) whereas others I have spoken to can’t see any difference, (Or a very minor difference) which just proves that everybody is different when it comes AV & Audio, and why it is paramount that you try before you buy.

Bill

As far as I'm aware both the JVC and Epson work in much the same way when rendering UHD using their respective eshift - and having done a direct comparison in a split screen with both that does seem to be the case. When comparing up close to the screen, the biggest visible difference was panel alignment. Differences in contrast and image brightness may also play a part, so a brighter JVC with more contrast may look sharper.

As far as I'm aware both the JVC and Epson work in much the same way when rendering UHD using their respective eshift - and having done a direct comparison in a split screen with both that does seem to be the case. When comparing up close to the screen, the biggest visible difference was panel alignment. Differences in contrast and image brightness may also play a part, so a brighter JVC with more contrast may look sharper.
What’s your thoughts on both having seen them?

Pros and cons, I think I preferred the JVC, though the image noise tends to bug me. That's why I ended up with an Epson Laser.

Maybe they didn't see the laser 760? Have they reviewed that one yet?

Don’t think there have been any full reviews of the laser Sony yet, and the AVForum recommendations (As far as I am aware) are purely from those that they have reviewed.

Regarding laser projectors the Sony is £15,000, but Optoma now have the UHZ65 (Basically the UHD65 with a laser light source) for £5000, and even more interesting is that Acer will shortly have a 4K laser projector available for under £4000, (With some shops predicting £3500) plus it will also be quite compact as far as 4K projection goes.

I have a feeling next year should be really interesting as far as 4K projectors are concerned.

Bill

Pros and cons, I think I preferred the JVC, though the image noise tends to bug me. That's why I ended up with an Epson Laser.
I tend to agree with you, jvc has obviously the edge for contrast and deep blacks but the image noise and the tendence to lose some of shadow details didn't (still) convince me to buy it...with the right source btw is really incredible (lucy uhd, for instance)
Do you have 10500 laser epson?

I tend to agree with you, jvc has obviously the edge for contrast and deep blacks but the image noise and the tendence to lose some of shadow details didn't (still) convince me to buy it...with the right source btw is really incredible (lucy uhd, for instance)
Do you have 10500 laser epson?

True, black crush could also be a bit of an issue, making 17 difficult to see but a Lumagen would fix that. Ricky at Kalibrate seems to set the JVCs up for better detail and sacrifice some contrast, and I think that's a good compromise - still has good contrast and black levels the way he did that with the 7900 (I think it was, I've lost track f the model No's with all the new JVCs in recent years...).

I went for the LS10000 because from what I'd seen, HDR doesn't do much for me, and I got a great Black Friday deal on one last year that I couldn't pass up. I'm using an HDFury Linker so I can get WCG with UHD disks, and I'm pretty pleased with the results.

Right now my fave pj is the new laser Sony, but hopefully by the time I feel like an upgrade, it will be more affordable.

Wow no Sony:eek:

I'm happy they left them out, the way Sony takes the piss with pricing on their models, leaving out things like lens memory and other basic features unless you pay thousands more for them. They deserve to get a kick for their practices. And I own one.

"Just got say here Phil ..
Would like to see much more work done by the industry to bring more 4k budget projectors to the market under the £1.000price tag still with 3d onboard ..And with a smaller chassis size say like the Optima he 26 size unit or a Viewsonic PJD7828 udl ..This can be done if the industry wants to??

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom