editing video- how to cut/delete frames

treta

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi
I'm capturing from a Sony HI8 camcorder to a computer with a S-Video cable and I'm triying with magix movie edit
This software capture video from a camcorder very well but...
How cut or delete some frames? I don't get it in help - I try but
don't understand how to delete some frames - in the begining or in the
middle.

There are some software to do this job - cut - in some easy way?

Thanks for your help

Antonio

Is the capture from s-video as dv avi? If so how do you get the audio if you are using s-video?
As I don't use Magix now Im unable to give you specifics but every other mainstream NLE has a fairly simple way to cut/ delete frames
My recollection with Magix products I used in the past is that they often have tutorial videos

Hi
I'm capturing from a Sony HI8 camcorder to a computer with a S-Video cable and I'm triying with magix movie edit
This software capture video from a camcorder very well but...
How cut or delete some frames? I don't get it in help - I try but
don't understand how to delete some frames - in the begining or in the
middle.

There are some software to do this job - cut - in some easy way?

Thanks for your help

Antonio

1) Open the file

2) Get to the Time line mode

3) Move the arrow to where its got the seconds shown at the top of the time line

4) Click on that

5) A thin red line will appear over the your movie.

6) Use the cursor left or right keys or move the mouse left or right over the start of the section you want to edit.

7) Press T (this will cut any under the red line)

8) Use the cursor left or right keys or move the mouse left or right over the edit of the section you want to edit.

9) Press T (this will cut any under the red line)

10) move your mouse over the middle of that section (your mouse pointer will turn in to a hand) and click on it, that bit will turn orange.

11) Press the Delete key on the keyboard (not the key next to += key, but the key next below Insert key on the keyboard).

12) That section is deleted.

13) Move your mouse over the remaing section and click on it, that bit will turn orange.

14) Pull that bit so it sits next to the rest of the movie.

It sounds complex but read the instruction manual and play with it, give it a few days and you'll get use to it.

I've used Magix Movie Edit pro since 2003 it powerful software, I find it easier to use than Ulead and Adobe's movie editor.

Hi
Since a long time I thought to transfer HI8 videos to a computer to try make home videos - cut bad scenes and improve them the best I can do. Now I have time and a new PC, so let's do it!!! But it's my first time so I'm learning.

To senu:
I'm using S-Video cable (for image) and 2 more cables for the sound. With magix movie edit I tried:
Quality S-VHS and MPEG DVD both 720x576 and there are no choise for AVI.
Wath is the best?

To Jetinder

Thanks a lot. I think now I understand how to select a frame or several frames. So is the way to make transitions, to insert text over frames... to put efects?

To Jetinder

Thanks a lot. I think now I understand how to select a frame or several frames. So is the way to make transitions, to insert text over frames... to put efects?

To make transitions click on Timeline button so you go back to story board mode.

Each time you cut a frame/s these become seperate parts of the movie, when you go in to story board these parts look like seperate boxes next to each other.

At the bottom between each box you will see smaller orange coloured box.

Click on that and you'll see a menu with options such as cut, crossfade etc etc, these allow smooth transitions, choose the option you want.

In storyboard each box has buttons (Text) sound and FX on the top row.

To insert text click on text button, type in the text, click ok and text is inserted into that frame.

For special effects click on FX button and choose the effects you want.

You can do the same in Time line mode but its a bit more complex.

Jetinder again I didn't understand, please explaiin me.
When I have 100MB of video lets say 20 minutes.
When I cut some frames to reduce to 10 minutes, after that can we delete the 10 minutes and so I'll work just with 10 minutes - 50MB or I'll stay with all. I mean for a 1 hour movie we heve to work with several hours? Can't we delete frames that we don't want?

Jetinder again I didn't understand, please explaiin me.
When I have 100MB of video lets say 20 minutes.
When I cut some frames to reduce to 10 minutes, after that can we delete the 10 minutes and so I'll work just with 10 minutes - 50MB or I'll stay with all. I mean for a 1 hour movie we heve to work with several hours? Can't we delete frames that we don't want?

Hi Treta

Yes you can easily delete frames that you don't want.

To reduce the size from say 20 minutes to 10 minutes do the following
:-

1) Open the file.

1) Get to the Time line mode

2) Move the arrow to where its got the seconds shown at the top of the time line

3) Click on that

4) A thin red line will appear over the your movie.

5) Use the cursor left or right keys or move the mouse left or right over the start of the section you want to edit.

6) Press T (this will cut any under the red line)

7) Use the cursor left or right keys or move the mouse left or right over the edit of the section you want to edit.

8) Press T (this will cut any under the red line)

9) Move your mouse over the middle of that section (your mouse pointer will turn in to a hand) and click on it, that bit will turn orange.

10) Press the DELETE key on the keyboard (not the key next to += key, but the key next below Insert key on the keyboard).

11) That section is deleted.

This will delete 10 minutes from your 20 minutes movie.

You can use the same method to make a 1 hour movie out of several hours of footage.

Hope this helps.

Ok thanks again

Now I must try every single step.
I have work to do.
For now I know how to begin and again thaks to you
Antonio

I don't know if someone can answer.

With help from Jetinder now I can cut any frames that I don't want from the movie.

However we don't delete them from the file recorded.

Not with Magix Movie Edit and not with Ulead Video Studio

I mean if I have 2GB of movie - 2 hours - and "delete" frames I don't want just to have a 1/2 hour of movie I still have a file of 2GB. That's sure.

Ther are some software that DELETE footage to reduce the file when we delete frames? Or all soft works like Magix and Ulead? Just like we do for audio with CoolEdit2000. Or I'm expecting too much?

Antonio

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom