1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Editing Video from Digital Camera

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by cittauk, Dec 20, 2004.

1. cittauk

cittauk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi

I have a number of very short video clips taken with my digital camera (minolta dimage Xi). The transfer and viewing onto my PC was simple enough, but I cannot seem to open or import them into Pinnacle Studio v9 or Windows Moviemaker.

Does anyone know the correct software to enable me to edit and combine the footage prior to burning onto DVD?

Many thanks

2. Origin

Origin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What format are the saved files? If they're MPEGs, you'll need to download a free program called TMPGEnc. This can convert MPEGs into AVI format, which Pinnacle and MovieMaker can import.

3. Brian110507

Brian110507

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :eek: MovieMaker should have no trouble at all in importing MPEGs and although I don't use Pinacle I would be very very surprised if it didn't import MPEGs as well - you don't need to do any conversions with the possibility of losing quality. - but as origin says - it would help a great deal if you told us the format of your files - what extension do they have ???

4. cittauk

cittauk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for the replys.

When I attempt to open the file in MovieMaker the error displayed is "filename.MOV is not a supported file type". Windows explorer does not show the extention, but does list them as Quicktime Movies.

Does that help?

Thanks

5. Brian110507

Brian110507

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes thats what we needed to know - if they are .mov files then you cannot edit them in MovieMaker (or it seems Pinacle) - the only half decent low cost programme that I know which will import, play and allow editing of them is Ulead VideoStudio 8 ( http://www.ulead.co.uk ).

The file extensions are not shown in Windows Explorer because you have selected the option 'hide extensions for known file types" in your control panel - something I would not do.

6. minnie

minnie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You can convert the .mov files into .avi files using rad tools - free software.
    www.radgametools.com/bnkdown.htm. Then you can edit them in Pinnacle, this is what I am going to do with my .mov Minolta ZX3 movie files. (Well, so far I have only converted some successfully, I haven't got around to actually editing any yet ! ) But they seem to play ok, file size does get much BIGGER - unfortunately.
    Good luck

7. cittauk

cittauk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks all, I have managed to edit and burn the footage onto DVD using Ulead Videostudio (30 day trial :thumbsup: ). Will try minnie's suggestion later when I have more time.

Also now showing file extentions - been trying to do that for ages but never got around to finding out how!

Thanks again