1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Editing video clips to DVD

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by jmci9, Mar 7, 2005.

1. jmci9

jmci9
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I am trying to edit a Video I took on a camcorder (miniDV). I have managed to transfer it to my laptop via firewire but it has loaded as numerous clips :rolleyes: .

These clips were taking up some serious memory so I transferred them to DVD as data (to back them up). When I try and use Nero or Windows movie maker my laptop doesn't like it (screen flashes as if struggling) :( .

I have a Sony Vaio A115Z with 60Gig and 512ram! Is there any program that I can use to compress the files, import and then edit them? I just want to be able to watch the film on DVD.

Any ideas?

Cheers Jmci9

2. Orbitalzone

Orbitalzone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Sounds like you copied the DV-AVI files that came direct from the camcorder right?

These DV-AVI files are not much compressed (DV Video isn't compressed much to get the best quality) but a DVD or PC struggles to play back this format as it's considerably more power consuming to decode than MPEG2 dvd video.

A DVD player won't play this either as it's not to the DVD mpeg2 format.

So you need to convert your 'raw' DV-AVI footage into mpeg2 for DVD playback (or convert to a more computer friendly format if not actually going to be put onto a DVD)

If you haven't got the required software already, you can try / buy loads.... I think some versions of Nero have a MPG2 codec to convert, but this won't let you edit the movie to cut out junk.

So, to simply convert the footage you could try something like Tempgenc to do the conversion, then check out Videohelp.com to see how to do the converting and burning (and a lot more)

or get an all in one program like Pinnacle studio9 which takes the raw video footage, allows you to edit and add effects, music, titles etc and then create a DVD all in one program. Studio 9 trial here (big download)

Have a look on your PC or camcorder software and see what you got with it.

Hope that helps.

3. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    A DV camcorder compresses the files by 5:1 onboard before writing them to DV tape.

Nero 6 and later has capture/editing features, but they are quite basic. It can also create basic DVD's, but you need the latest versions to get menu & chapter tools.

Never bothered going this route as there seems to be a lot of mucking around. I personally find a dedicated authoring program easier to get my head around. I use Ulead DVD Movie Factory that costs about £30 or less and does everything in a single interface. It also gives very good results. Like Nero the editing features are very basic.

Pinacle Studio 9 is a very good, feature rich program but a lot of people report that it is very unstable and frequently crashes. Another option is Ulead Video Studio 8. This can also do everything all-in-one through to creating the final DVD.
    Both Ulead programs mentioned above can be downloaded free for a 30 day trial from Here.

Mark.

4. Black 5

Black 5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I know I'm sounding like a broken record, but you could have bought an Apple :rolleyes:

bundled software spot on, plenty of features, downloads simple and reliable and no crashes

5. melliott1963

melliott1963

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    So have you tried editing video on a MAC where the files are situated on a DVD? I suspect you'd get the same problem.

I suspect that Jmci9's basic problem is that he didn't realise just how much space raw camcorder footage takes up. This is the same regardless of whether you use a PC or a MAC.

Being a laptop, buying a second large drive (which is highly recomended) isn't as straight forward as with a desktop, but, provided you don't want to move your PC around when editing your video, an external firewire hard drive is probably the best bet.

You don't really want to start compressing the files before you start editing them (for a start, a lot of the cheaper programs won't allow you to edit compressed files).

So, get an external hard drive (250Gb one's are quite reasonable these days), put just your captured video onto this, then edit using whatever program you'd like (I'd personally advise looking at Sony's Vegas Movie Studio or, if money's not a problem, Sony Vegas 5). Finally render the final footage and burn onto DVD.

Sony Vegas Movie Studio Trial:-
    http://mediasoftware.sonypictures.com/download/step2.asp?DID=531

Sony Vegas 5 Trial:-
    http://mediasoftware.sonypictures.com/download/step2.asp?DID=501

6. jmci9

jmci9
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    Thanks for the advice :thumbsup: .
    Purchasing an external hard drive was something I have been contemplating anyway. I am looking at a 200G Maxtor drive, it has a read speed of 7200 and is USB 2.0 / firewire enabled.
    I have a budget of around £100 ish .... what would you recommend?

Regards
    Jmci9 :rolleyes:

7. satbunny

satbunny
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  8. melliott1963

melliott1963

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Looks good. I'm almost tempted to get one just as an external backup device.

9. jmci9

jmci9
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks .... that does look good! Might have to stretch the budget though!

10. jmci9

jmci9
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  11. satbunny

satbunny
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted: