editing VHS-disc

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by pw29010, Mar 22, 2006.

1. pw29010

pw29010

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i want to copy my old vhs tapes to dvd discs, then i want to edit the discs (take out the adverts) could someone tell me how many ways there are to do this/ any help would be appreciated
    thanx

2. ROYOLD

ROYOLD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +296
    Once you have recorded a VHS tape to DVD-R or DVD+R you can not edit the disc. The only discs you can edit on are DVD-RAM, DVD-RW and DVD+RW.

Editing out the adverts on these discs is also time consuming and you will quickly get sick of it if you have many VHS tapes to transfer.

Is it absolutely essential that you remove the adverts. You can always FF them on the DVD-/+R discs. Personally I leave them in. It's far less trouble than removing them.

3. Analogue

Analogue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thae only way of practically editing a DVD is on a PC but then (I am learning) the best way is to import the analogue tape direct via one of the commercial capture interfaces rather than using the DVD as an intermediary. Then you can use software such as ULead Video Studio or Pinnacle to easily remove adverts titles etc.

I have the former but you need to look at their forum for stickys and user comments when recording back to DVD otherwise if you are not careful the end result is of poorer quality than VHS

4. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,305
    If you use a HDD-DVD machine, you can capture to the Hard Disc, edit there, then burn the end result to DVD.

Edits aren't exactly seamless, though. You get a momentary pause or some such. Something to do with GOPs (!)