editing software

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Making Forum' started by david.ddr, Sep 13, 2007.

1. david.ddr

david.ddr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I am looking for a basic editing software and would like opinions on ulead DVD movie factory and ulead video studio

Thanks in advance

Dave

2. senu

senu
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,811
    They are both good and affordable.
    Movie Factory is an elegant way to make DVDs, ver 6 has some editing ability which may be all you need although it is not primarily editing software

Video Studio is well liked,and justifiably popular and has in built DVD making abilities (albeit less versatile than Movie factorys')

I particularly like and use Movie factory .. but not for editing
    Video studio I like somewhat less because it (IMO) tries so hard to be helpful that if you seek manual control it may prove less yielding.. if you dont youll love its wizard driven GUI
    It is however feature packed
    Brian10507 (on here) is something of an expert in video Studio
    You can do a search here for alternatives suffice to say there are a few, they vary in features complexity, are all "learnable" and no one software can do it all

3. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +620
    I've used DVD Movie Factory, and it is a very easy way to make DVDs, including basic edits. And I really don't think there is anything else comparable (as cheap and easy to use).

Video Studio I've only trialled. It is more powerful; "proper" editing software. But if you want "proper" editing software there are several comparable options... e.g. Premiere Elements, Pinnacle Studio, or Sony Vegas Movie Studio. Between these (and a few others...) it is mainly a matter of preference. When I chose my editor (some years ago) I tried several and liked the Sony Vegas one best (though it wasn't owned by Sony back then). You might like a different one. Best to try out a few (they all have free trials).

4. jetinder

jetinder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    I found Magix movie edit a lot easier to use and a lot more powerful than Ulead 8 software.

5. senu

senu
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,811
    Im sure latest versions of Magix are great.:)
    I had used an earlier one too ( I was given it to try) and wasn't that impressed
    Likewise, Uleads VideoStudio is now on ver 11 and MovieFactory on Ver 6 and would have moved on beyond ver 8 in usability

6. felix2

felix2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    I'm also a fan of Ulead DVD Movie Factory (after Senu recommended it to me a couple of years ago!! :D ) and still use version 4 for all my DVD making & DVD editing and video file conversion. It really depends how "basic" the video editing you want to do is. As Mark and Senu have said, DVD Movie Factory is a DVD making program which also has some limited video editing ability, and Ulead Vidoe Studio is a full video editing program with (less versatile than DVD Movie Factory) DVD making ability. You'd be best to study the Ulead website and decide which features you'd prefer - and/or download trial versions of both to try.

Again depending on how "basic" you want to be, Ulead Video Studio is probably the easiest to get results with, without having to understand how it does it (it has pretty comprehensive Wizard tools etc). But as Senu said, if you did aspire to doing more involved editing later on, it does eventually fall down against the competition and although pretty powerful cannot quite offer the features and versatility of some other programs for the price. But it does do transitions between video clips, video effects, video overlays and Picture in Picture, photo "slideshows", adding extra soundtracks (music, narration) and loads more, so for many it's probably ideal. Some of the other options (with links to their websites) are in this old post.

7. david.ddr

david.ddr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Thank you all for your ideas, all i do is transfer mini dv tapes (of the kids) to the pc, edit out the rough bits then copy it back to tape and dvd. I will look at downloading the trails of both and have a play about with them and see what i prefer.

Thanks again

Dave