Editing Software

D

drewboy

Hi,

Having recently purchased a dv cam, I'm interested in getting some of the evential footage onto my P.C. and tinkering with it.

I know I need a firewire card so would like some advice on the two ideas that are currently floating around in my head.

The first choice is Pinnacle Systems Studio DVclip available from Dabs for £44. inc. firewire card.

Second is a Lucent Firewire 3 Port PCI + Ulead VideoStudio. Again available from Dabs but at a much cheaper £23.50.

Which is the prefered choice. I've heard that Pinnacle Studio 7 is the best and that they do a cut down version. Is this the studio DVclip mentioned above?

Are these deals any good or does anybody know of any better? My cam only cam with software for editing the still images it produces so I need both parts of the package.

Hopefully if you chaps can quide me in the right direction I can come back and help some other newbie out once I become a seasoned dv pro!!!!

Many thanks,
Drew.

Go for the Pinnacle DVclip from DABS.

Its a cut-down version of Studio 7, but retains a good selection of features.

A good starting point. Check it out, learn all you can and see what you miss from the Pinnacle package. Then, if you decide you need more, you still have a Firewire card.

Thanks for the advice.

So that's a no to the Unlead one then!

In terms of missing bits out. How close in the DVclip version to studio 7. I presume it will do all the stuff that my newbie head can throw at it?

Regards,
Drew.

I am not familiar with the specific package but I'm sure it will do more than enough to confuse the hell out of you for a while.

You might also consider Sonic Foundry Video Factory, Costs about $60 to buy, but you can get a trial version for the cost of downloading it. Any Texas Instruments based Firewire card will do you. (Mine cost about £19 from Scan (and came with an editing package!).

I ahve used Firstly Pinnacle DC10 plus and now use Studio Dv plus with Studio 7 software and find it absolutely brilliant.
With regard to DV clip I think that is a cut down version of S7 with some ( particularly the effects) missing.
If you want only DV in and out (not analogue) the Studio DV package would appear to be excellent

Happy editing!!

Thanks All,

Am currently downloading the trail version of studio 7.
Although as I don't have a firewire card I can only use it with the sample files that pinnacle can provide.

A total of 60meg!!! Should keep the wife off the phone at least.

Regards,
Drew.

P.S. with so many people using this software, are there any forums that you might recommend to help me get the best out of it?

Hi guys,

Did anyone know where to get a good firewire card excluding the software. I already have a adobe primere 6 software but do not have a firewire card.

Did Pinnacle sell the firewire card card only exclude the software?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom