Editing software

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Tykemall, Aug 30, 2005.

1. Tykemall

Tykemall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ive been transfering camcorder home movies to dvd but need to edit some crap out using the pc.
    What software do you reccomend?, im looking for something simple and easy to use.

2. musukebba

musukebba

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Do you have reauthoring software already? If so, choose Womble MPEG2VCR or VideoRedo for the editing only.

Otherwise for an all-in-one solution, try TMPGEnc or Ulead DVD Movie Factory 4 DC.

3. Tykemall

Tykemall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply.
    Ill get Ulead DVD Movie Factory 4 DC and try that.

4. felix2

felix2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    There's a separate forum on here for Camcorders & Video Editing! Lots on there about editing software. I've just bought ULead DVD Movie Factory 4, only used once so far but very happy, and ULead VideoStudio 8, not tried yet. Also recommended on the forum appear to be Pinnacle, and Sony Vegas software, all fairly inexpensive. Be sure to use Firewire for capturing the footage onto PC!

5. musukebba

musukebba

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Why would you need Ulead VS-8, Pinnacle 'Whatever' and "Sony Vegas" software, if you already have DVDMF4? Suppose you identify the essential differences between these applications instead of plastering spurious options all over the place.
    It appears to be already captured on a DVD recorder, hence the chosen forum.

6. felix2

felix2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Sorry if I've said anything I shouldn't have Musukebba. I was only suggesting there was more information about the whole subject on the other related forum. You're right, DVDMF4 sounds like it will do everything Tykemall wants to, I only mentioned the other video editing software with many more features as a possible alternative. There are threads on the other forum about the differences between the different programs which I didn't want to repeat unnecessarily. And yes, you're right, you can do simple editing of DVDs without losing any quality, but on the offchance Tykemall wanted to do any more fancy editing at all, it would be better to use a Firewire connection to capture the camcorder footage "uncompressed", rather than having it rendered twice. I hope that makes sense, and I'm genuinely sorry if I suggested anything "spurious" or confusing or unhelpful.

7. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,886
    Felix2 - I don't think you did post anything spurious, confusing or unhelpful - as far as I can see you were giving options and opinions like the rest of us do :)

8. musukebba

musukebba

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    No apology needed. Maybe I should start using emoticons more... :eek: ;)

I was attempting to make a serious point (and evidently failing) that sometimes too much superficial information is unhelpful. More often than not someone just wants to get an app to 'do-the-job', and Tykemall appears to fall into this category. That might be my misjudgement though.

If anyone has detailed information on why one app is better than another, or that there's a balance of features in one app over another, then that is useful information and passing on knowledge. Otherwise we can all post a list of something that 'might-do-the-job', and encourage a cluttering up of hard discs with things that don't add anything to the process and aren't really useful. I'm sure it's a temptation to make a more vibrant post though.

The objective information (which can seem simple and boring) is that, once on a DVD and ripped with DVD Decrypter to PC HDD, Womble MPEG2VCR, Video Wizard and VideoRedo will allow lossless editing on that extracted file that is carried right through importation into DVDMF(2;3;4)-DC to a shiny playable and compatible DVD disc.

One encoding event; which occurs as the information hits the DVD recorder.

Now that DVDMF4 finally does what it pretended to do some years ago, you can edit adverts out of a DVD-compliant MPEG2 file and burn (in the same app) without any re-encoding taking place. Hence my advice.

If anyone has updated knowledge of this or other processes such as TMPGEnc or Nero then I'm sure we would love to hear it. I've thought of an omission myself - the caveat that the trial version of DVDMF will not handle AC-3 sound and thus may not appear to work if that is the audio encoding strategy of the DVD recorder.

9. felix2

felix2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Thanks JohnG and Musukebba for your comments. To be fair, my post wasn’t 100% relevant to the original question, was it? – I’ll try to be more awake next time I start to waffle!! :eek: As a newbie to forums and to DVDs, it’s good to be reassured of the friendliness of AVForums. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

So far I’ve only used DVDMF4 to copy a friend’s semi-professional pop video. I simply “imported” the title from the DVD, chopped off about 5 minutes of blank video that was on there accidentally, and “exported” it again to the hard disk – all, as you say, lossless quality. I then also burned off a copy on a DVD-RW, which plays on my RDXS34 exactly as the original. I’ve also tried using Sonic MyDVD and Nerovision to burn an MPEG movie onto DVD, but MyDVD claimed the movie wasn’t DVD compliant, and Nerovision seemed to re-encode it, giving very disappointing results.

Although DVDMF is sold as a DVD Authoring prog, it also has pretty good basic editing facilities, allowing you to add some effects, transitions between scenes, text, and extra audio. The full “Disc Creator” version also appears to burn audio CDs and data CDs & DVDs – but I’m happy with Nero for those functions.

ULead’s Video Studio, like about a dozen other possibilities, is a full home movie editing prog, but which also has pretty good DVD authoring. But I’m pretty sure it has to re-encode any compressed video (like MPEG from a DVD) when it renders the finished movie, losing quality. So it’s only worth using if you want to do more complicated editing from camcorder footage, and ideally only if you’re starting off with the original uncompressed data straight from the camcorder. Of course, DVDMF and VS will both capture straight from a camcorder, via Firewire, if you wanted to skip the DVD recorder and save some blank disks! Also, as I understand it, neither DVDMF nor VS will import/export MPEG4 files without a separate plug-in encoder.

10. Mark_a

Mark_a

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +494
    TMPGenenc DVD Author does GOP level editing, but when used in conjunction with their MPEG Editor software allows for near-lossless frame level editing. There will always be very small losses when they have to redo the edited frames. The same is true for Womble and Video ReDo, but you'd be very hard pressed to see them on playback, especially as the rest of it is genuinely lossless.

Pegasys, the creators of TMPGenc DVD Author have just announced DVD Author Pro which will do directly frame level near-lossless editing for release this month for $99. Being an existing DVD Author user I shall definitely be signing up for it. Hopefully the menuing side of things will have been beefed up a little. Though I do wish they'd make use of 5.1 AC-3 instead of just 2.0 AC-3 (though it will leave a 5.1 untouched if you feed it one).

http://www.tmpg-inc.com/product/tdap_feature.html

Regards

Mark