1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Editing software + dumb question

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by jdcotr, Oct 27, 2004.

1. jdcotr

jdcotr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just bought a Panasonic E55 (after being too tight to buy a hdd recorder) and have a couple of questions. Please excuse my ignorance as I'm a newbie and abit thick when it come to these matters.

My first question is regading connections. I've read numerous posts regarding RGB etc and I've decided to feed the RGB-Scart from my SKY Digital into the E55 Scart In and then the RGB-Scart Out from the E55 into my TV's RGB-Scart. My dumb question is will the E55 need to be switched on for me get a Sky signal on my TV? or will it pass through if the E55 is in standby?

My second question is regarding editing software for a PC. If I get adverts and rubbish on my E55 recordings is there some decent PC software that will enable me to edit these off. I do have a PC with a DVD Writer. Can anyone recommend a package (preferably cheap).

Many thanks

2. johnjackthom

johnjackthom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +247
    Hi jdcotr, your connections are exactly the same as mine and you will be able to watch Sky on passthrough when the E55 is in standby.

If you want to properly remove commercials from a DVD-R recording on a PC, AFAIK you will need to re-author and burn to another disc.
    TMPGEnc DVD Author is available for a free 30 day trial and it allows reasonably accurate cutting of unwanted sections of recordings.

If your pc DVD writer doesn't handle DVD-RAM it might be worth considering investing in a new one, as this gives the most flexibility when importing stuff for authoring from the E55.

3. jdcotr

jdcotr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info. Managed to get everything hooked up yesterday after initial confusion over no picture as the E55 wasn't set to RGB by default. Had to set the TV to video to get a picture and then change the E55 to RGB. All very confusing!

I'll be downloading the editing software today and giving it a go.

Thanks again.