1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Editing recorded dvd

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by fallwood, Jan 1, 2005.

1. fallwood

fallwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Heres what I want to do. Record from vhs to dvd-r or dvd ram using my dmr-e65, then I want to edit out bits that i dont want on the pc and burn back to dvd-r from pc. Ive tried ulead dvd movie factory but if you start to chop out bits it then has to re-encode the whole thing before burning it bck to dvd-r, is their software available to edit dvd content without having to re-encode the whole thing.

2. JamesL

JamesL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
  3. fallwood

fallwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Thanks, just started to read it as you replied. Ive just tried tmpgenc mpeg tools with an mpeg2 plugin to multiplex the vob files into an mpeg2 file. seems to work but editing in meg tools is a bit basic, will try tmpgenc author next and see how it goes.

4. SDHoward

SDHoward
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    As far as I can remember there should be an option in ulead to not re-encode as long as the paramteres of the output video are identicle to the imput.

5. fallwood

fallwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    yes their is but if you cut the video at all it re-encodes the whole thing, a major gripe of mine when editing mpeg taken from dv cam .tmpgenc seems to let you edit the mpeg2 video but does not have to re-encode it, just looks a bit more limited than moviefactory.

6. xenole

xenole
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I've been trying out TMPGenc and found it awful.
    It won't display frames 99% of the time, so you can't edit, set chapters or anything.

7. dmjohnson123

dmjohnson123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I've started using TMPGEnc DVD Author 1.6 and find it great.

I just want to edit out adverts, chop out the crap before and after a recorded programme and then burn whats left to DVD-r including a "nice" menu.

TMPGEnc Author 1.6 does everything I need and I'm very happy with it.

(I also downloaded TMPGEnc Express 3.0 (MPEG Editor) which does a slightly slicker job of the editting but isn't as quick and user friendly to use as Author)

I'd suggest downloading the trial version of Author and giving it a whirl. If you like it you can then buy the serial number.

8. fallwood

fallwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Ive also been using tmpgenc author and it superb for editing , unlike most other authoring progs it does not need to re-encode the video after youve cut pieces out or added and removed chapters, very easy to use and the final authoring is lightning fast. Even accepts video from dvd ram in vr format.

9. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +144
    Most DVD Authoring software will allow you to make simple cuts and join all this together as a VOB file without re-encoding. This is editing at it's simplest.

However, the more you get into it, the more adventerous you will want to be (mainly with home movies) and you will have to move on to some proper rditing software (NOT authoring software) liek Ulead Video Studio or Pinnacle etc.
    It's here yoy will be able to cross fades, transitions, insert edit, audio & music over dubs etc.

But alas you have no choice but to re-encode, but isn't that bad (time consuming yes) as long as you use good codecs like those of Canopus or TMPG. In most cases you won't be able to tell the difference from the original and the re-encoded version.

Ulead even 'smart renders' where as it will only re-encode were it needs to, like on transitions and where music has been re-mixed.

TBH, other than the time factor I don't understand why people get put off by re-encoding. It's a hell of an improvent from the old linear days when dubbing from VHS to VHS (or SVHS to SVHS). Now that's what I call serious quality loss!

10. fallwood

fallwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I have to totally disagree with you on this. Ive used both canopus pro coder and tmpgenc for a few years to re encode material from my dv-cam (over firewire) and neither can compare to the results acheived over firewire directly into my drme65, the quality is far superior and it only takes the time it takes the tape to play, therefore i wouldnt want to re-encode using either of the above as quality will definately be lost, I view my material on a 90" projector screen so its very easy to see changes in quality, even the wife noticed how much better the results were from the drme65. Therefore its vital to me that the editing and authoring software doesnt re-encode the video. Tmpgenc author is the only one ive found that allows this, ulead movie factory does have a check box that says do not re-encode dvd compatible files, but if you do any kind of editing it re encodes the whole thing, as uleads encoding engine is quite naff ive had to stop using it. If you can suggest the names of an other progs that do what i need it would be greatly appreciated cos i miss the luverly menu editor and transition effects of moviefactory.

11. Kabelnet

Kabelnet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I use Womble MPEG Video Wizard (www.womble.com) to edit and copy videos from DVD-ram to PC. It edits the MPEG stream directly and it performs the copy with 'direct stream copy', without encoding. To copy a movie (90 min) is ~10min.
    After that I use Sonic DVD producer to build DVD-s. With this technic the MPEG stream remains unchainged (as it recorded by the E85).

12. fallwood

fallwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Cheers I will try that, the editing on tmpgenc author is a bit limited and i would like a bit more flexibility.