Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Editing Query

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by davet010, Oct 4, 2004.

1. davet010

davet010

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Sorry if this has been asked before, but...

I want to copy 3 episodes of a series onto a DVD-R. The show lasts about 43 minutes without ads (1hr with). They will initially be recorded via Sky+, then into my Tosh 32, then onto DVD-R.

Do I record 129mins of stuff for each show, then edit them down to 43mins, or just record them as 3x60 mins shows, edit them down, then copy to DVD-R ?

Is there likely to be much quality difference between them ?

:confused:

thanks

DT

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,585
    There would be a noticeable difference yes - as one way gives you a First generation copy, while the other a second generation copy. Always set the appropriate bitrate for the capcity you want to archive to DVD-R. Only record in best quality and re-encode if you don't know the length of the original programme - as you have Sky+ this will never be an issue.

3. davet010

davet010

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Thanks again for the help, but I'm still a mite confused.

Let's say I'm going to record a program off Sky, which runs from 8-9, but has only 43 mins of content. I want to get 3 episodes on each disk, but 2 would be OK. Do I

1) Record 129mins on my SKY+ HD, then transfer all of it to the Tosh HD. or,

2) Record the normal 60mins on SKY+, then record 129 mins on my Tosh HD.

If 1, I'm not sure how to do it. If 2, I think I know how.

Sorry to pester again - I'll get it one of these days.

cheers

4. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,585
    It's effectively method 2. You record the programmes as normal on the Sky+ HDD. You then decide how many episodes you want on a DVD-R. Lets say three. You know that each episode is 43mins in content and so you use a bitrate that gives 129mins (it's often prudent to give yourself a few minutes extra!). You now play each episode on Sky+ using this bitrate and then edit out the adverts. On completion the file size of all three episodes will come to just under 4.3GB and will fit on a DVD-R.