1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Editing Pictures To The Right Size & Shape

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by Garrett, Aug 5, 2004.

1. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,022
    What do people use to edit there pictures on there computer? I.e. if I want to cut the centre bit out of a picture and then load it to either CD or a memory card how do you ensure it is the exact shape and size to get printed right?

2. Brian110507

Brian110507

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There are literally dozens of digital imaging packages which will do what you want ranging from the free download and the ones supplied with many cameras up to ones costing hundreds of pounds, My opinion is that the top two used by many amatuers would be Adobe Photshop ( http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/main.html ) and jasc Paint shop pro ( http://www.jasc.com/products/paintshoppro/? )

I personnally use Serif Photoplus ( http://www.serif.com/photoplus/photoplus9/index.asp ) which although not so well known is a very adequate package.

3. s2oldskool

s2oldskool

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Using photoshop (and PSP maybe?) you can apply a fixed aspect ratio mask. Just set the aspect ratio you want, eg 640:480, 6:4 etc and select the size you want, move the mask over the area you want, and crop.

4. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,022
    I use Adobe Photo Shop Elements has that got the masking and if so how do you get it going (what do you click)?

5. Northerner

Northerner
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Open the image you want to crop (mask) and select the Cropping Tool in the Tools palette. It's the 3rd tool down on the right.

Place the cursor at roughly the top left of where you want the mask to start and drag down until you have a rectangle of roughly the size you want. You can drag and resize this rectangle to the exact size you want using the handles at each corner. When you're happy, double click within the image and it will reduce to the size of the mask.

Now click Image in the menu bar and select Resize. chosse the size you want ( 800 x 600), click OK. Click File and Save As and that's pretty well it

6. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,022
    Thank but in the last bit if you have not got the ratio right in the first place it just distorts the picture to fit.

7. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,022
    Ah I found out what to do when you choose the framing tool it brings a bar up above your picture in the menu across the screen you can enter the width and hight there and move it round the picture.

Thank every one for your help. :smashin: