1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Editing PAL using NTSC Compatible Software

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by mks, Sep 21, 2005.

1. mks

mks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I have recently acquired a copy of Pinnacle Studio Moviebox Deluxe which turns out to be NTSC compatible only. I am new to video editing and want to try and few things. I have a PAL VCR, and in order to edit the analogue video using the Pinnacle software can I simply use some form of PAL to NTSC converter?

I also have some old holiday movies on a digital camcorder (PAL). In order to process these using the same Pinnacle software is there something I can purchase which can sit in between the camcorder and PC to allow the PAL signal to be converted into NTSC over the firewire connection?

Without purchasing a new PAL version of the Pinnacle software, does anyone know of some way of converting the NTSC version so that it is compatible with PAL?

Appreciate your help.

Mo

2. Brian110507

Brian110507

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many computer based editing programme can edit either - you simply change a few settings, one programme which I know for sure will edit NTSC or PAL simply by changing settings is Ulead VideoStudio 9.0

3. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    Standards converters that are good enough for recording will cost you far more money than new editing software (some examples Here). I would have thought that most of the current software would work with both PAL & NTSC, so worth having a dig around in the menus to see if it can be set to PAL.
    Even if you did decide to convert to NTSC you would then loose quality as even the best converters drop the resolution of the picture as an NTSC picture is lower resolution than PAL.

Mark.