Editing out adverts on TV recording

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by mikatt, May 3, 2004.

1. mikatt

mikatt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Advice please how can I edit out adverts from TV recordings to my Panasonic DVD recorder? I have a LG DVD writer on my computer.

2. SNICK

SNICK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    With my E55, when using DVD RAM discs, i go via the edit function, locate the start and end of the period i want to remove (the ads for instance) hit edit and that segment is gone!

3. hammy

hammy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    As SNICK says, you can use the Panasonic's own editing functions to get rid of adverts, this was the first method I used when I got my E50. Used to edit on the E50 then play the edited RAM disc in my S35 player back into the E50 and recorded it to DVD-R

Now, I have an LG 4082B writer, and use TEMPGenc dvd Author ($89 if you get the sound plug in as well) a lot now, it reads the RAM discs and converts them for burning to DVD-R. You can edit out adverts, add menus etc, and it also has a writing tool so you don’t even need other burning software.

There is an excellent thread at the top of this page (PC Guide: DVD-RAM to DVD-R), which goes into detail about the method.

Hammy

4. mikatt

mikatt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Thanks guys I need to read my manual properly have tried the edit function on my E60 and have cut out adverts, will look at commercial progs as well.and the instruction thread above, ta once again.

Mike

5. puddleduck

puddleduck

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    I use a PC now as I find the E55 doesn't allow fine grained enough editing - the ads. look like they have gone, but when copied onto a DVD-R via a PC for replay on other players, bits of the ads. are still there :(

So I use a PC now and TMpgEng DVD Author which is an excellent bit of software :)

6. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,873

That can also happen with DVD Author. It only sees 12 frames every second. It is something to do with seeing the I frames (mpeg compression talk).

I record everything at least SP and use MPEG2VCR to tae the adverts out. I use DVD Author to transfer the recording to MPEG on the HDD. Then I load the file into MPEG2VCR. This can do frame by frame editing. It then saves a new MPEG file (no loss in quality). This new file goes back into DVD Author for creating the DVD.

If I am doing a TV Series DVD (CSI for example), I use DVD2DVD-R to fit four epsiodes onto a DVD. The quality is much better than using FR to fit on a RAM. It also use sthe full capacity of a DVD. I don't usually get more than 3.95GB on a RAM.

7. puddleduck

puddleduck

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    Excellent post mwgarratt - I think I will have a play with your way of doing things.

I'm currently using the 4 x 42 minute trick you posted about, reducing by 42 minutes for each episode, using FR to fit 4 eps. per disk, but the method you posted about above sounds very good :)

I'll definately check out MPEG2VCR to VCR whatever happens, as I prefer editing on my PC that the E55, it brings out the geek in me ;)

8. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,873
    Thanks

I used to do the 4 x 42 min until recently but, after a while it I ended up with wasted space on DVD-r or DVD+R. Those discs can take about another 300MB more than RAM.

Another thing. If you take any ads out on the recorder, the mpeg will look odd in MPEG2VCR. It will only see the first bit before the first set ads were taken out, the rest of the program is still there. Therefore, you have to use the stream converter in MPEG2VCR. This creates a new mpeg from the old one.

Therefore is is much easier to do no editing on the recorder and leave adverts intact.

DVd2DVD-R also uses CCE (cinemacraft encoder) . This is a very high quality encoder to resize the vob files from DVD Author.