Editing on DVDR70

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Russell_S, Jan 25, 2004.

1. Russell_S

Russell_S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hi there,

I am having problems editing (on DVD+R discs) with my Philips DVDR70 recorder and making them compatible for playback on another player. I am making the edits fine, and they playback on the DVDR70 fine (with edits intact). However, I don't have a "Make Edits Compatible" selection visible in the disc info screen, and if I just finalise the disc and playback on another player, the edits are ignored.

The manual states that if "Make Edits Compatible" does not appear then your disc is already compatible. Well in my case it is not visible and it is not already compatible.

Does anyone have any pointers as to what the reason for this could be.

Many thanks

Russell

2. tichtich

tichtich

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I don't have a + recorder, so this is just hearsay, i.e. what I think I've read in internet forums. My understanding is that, due to limtations of the DVD-video format, edits on a +R disc cannot be made compatible with a standard DVD player, i.e. standard DVD players will always show the bits you edited out. +RW discs are OK, though.

3. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,859
    That is what I heard too.

4. SystemBlack

SystemBlack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I disagree in part. I record master on DVD +RW and then I edit (make invisible) the ad breaks. I then "make edits compat" and stick that disc in my Schneider DVD player and record onto DVD+R. The player ignores the invisible sections and I get a nice "ad free" copy.
    I have a DVDR 75 and apart from a couple of errors in the past, I like it.

5. SystemBlack

SystemBlack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    sorry, I agree partly. I didn't quite read the reply above. I never record straight to DVR unless it's on BBC1 or 2.