1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

editing on dvd recorders

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by molipa, Sep 29, 2004.

1. molipa

molipa
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    iam hoping to shortly purchase a dvd recorder as i have a very large music video collection on vhs which i wish to transfer and edit onto dvd.In the recent past i have used panasonic svhs machines to assemble/insert edit videos with good results apart from the obvious analogue tape problems[dirt on heads,dropout etc.]
    My question is which is the best format/machine to get good clean and accurate edits and if i make a cock up during assemble edits can you undo this mistake using either RW or RAM.I have probably decided to go with the -r format unless any one pursuades me otherwise.
    Any advice on dvd editing would be useful.
    Thanks. :)

2. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You need a machine with a Hard Disc Drive in.You can transfer all your raw materail(with a special lead if any of it is copy protected)to the HDD.Edit it to your hearts content,reorder it if you want,and when its all perfect,transfer it to dvd-r for playback on any dvd player.Make sure you don't get the Philips machine,but as long as it has HDD,a Pioneer,Toshiba,Panasonic or other quality make will do.Prices start from around £375,but you will find it far simpler and more flexible than any dvd only machine.

3. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    I have a philips dvdr75, and the easiest thing to do is copy all the .vob
    files to my pc then edit with TMPG Dvd Author. There is no loss of
    quality as it is all edited digitally. Editing on the Dvd recorder is a
    complete pain and results in completely non-standard dvds.

4. EN

EN
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I used to edit my records on S-VHS mashine. Now I have HDD recorder.
    Unfortunatly usually you can't edit record on HDD as yuo used to, because of a MPEG GOP compression This means you will get pause between cuts, very unpreasent.
    The only way (exept computer) is to get HDD with DV or other non-GOP recording and the transiotion points are seamless. As far as I know only old JVC HMD 4 has DV option.

5. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,217
    This isn't quite correct. On an academic level when you record in XP mode (or a high bitrate) then the GOP is frequently very small - in many places as low as 1. This means accurate editting can easily be achieved on the I Frame. However VR mode was designed and constructed especially to avoid the limitations of MPEG2 - accordingly you can make accurate edits.

A second voice for avoiding Philips as well - aside from the terrible reliability of their machines - they lack TBCs and so are less the perfect for archiving from VHS/SVHS. In addition they lack Playlists (ideal for re-arranging music) and lack accurate editting. Ergo a Philips machines is useless to you. Look at HDD options such as the Panasonic E85.

6. molipa

molipa
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :thumbsup: Thanks for the replies so far,my budget will only stretch to £250 bearing this in mind is it best to go down the ram or -rw route and if i master in vr mode would this give me the best possible results. Does ram give me the option of missing out parts of the recordings i dont want?
    Also do Panasonic or any other manufacturer give you an option between 2 and four hour recording modes.
    I did recently borrow a philips DVD recorder and noticed that the recordings seem to suffer with a "bleached out appearance" on any pop video with a white background,is this a problem with just Philips or all DVD recorders?
    Thanks.

7. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,217
    Most machines that record to either will be sufficient and give you access to all 'VR mode' features such as editting, playlists etc. At the budget end of the market you get more bang for your buck with the Panasonic (DVD-RAM) models though (component out, DVD-Audio, prog scan, longer high resolution recording lengths).

You get slightly more options that on virtually all DVD recorders ;) Most models have at least a few options (1hr per disk, 2hrs, 4hrs etc). Some models also have Flexible Record (Panasonic, Pioneer, Toshiba, Samsung)- an option that allows you to define the recording quality within a few minutes, e.g. 1hr 12min mode!

It was probably just badly setup - or a faulty model - recordings should look virtually identical to the original.

8. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Of course,any editing on RAM or -RW will need to be transferred to -R for playback elsewhere.So if you have no PC rewriter then STB with HDD is ideal.
    Not sure how someone can say STB editing is a pain,then go on to say how easy it is on a PC.Quite the reverse if you have a dvd/hdd combo.

9. molipa

molipa
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info. :clap:
    it now looks that funds may stretch to the Toshiba with HD [cant remember model number].If not then i'll probably go for the panny E55 or tosh DR1.
    Does any one Know how many hours of video i could fit onto the Toshibas 80gb hardrive in 2hour sp mode?
    Thanks

10. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,217
    In my experience this is invariably said by Philips DVDR owners who haven't actually experienced editting on a set-top.

Just over 35 hours.

11. molipa

molipa
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the useful replies given.I went and bought the Pioneer 420 today havn't tried it yet but reading the manual it would seem to fit the bill for editing and making music videos from my existing collection.

12. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Off topic,but does anyone know if the 8x -R discs will perform at that speed on the Pioneer 5100,which up to now I have only used 4x discs with