1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Editing New York by Hollywood

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by Tony P, Dec 27, 2001.

1. Tony P

Tony P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've heard recently that Hollywood movie studios are busy editing their 2001 productions to remove the ill-fated twin towers in New York from scenes filmed before September 11. I've also heard rumours that the episode of the Simpsons where Homer visits New York to collect his stolen car from World Trade Plaza may be dropped completely from the forthcoming DVD series.

As a regular visitor to Manhattan, this news is rather disturbing. To remove all traces of the towers from multimedia releases seems to me like an attempt to hide the events of September 11 with the single objective of preventing the viewer from thinking about the attacks and possibly spoiling the enjoyment of the production. Or, looking at it from a different persective, new productions may want to appear current with the new skyline of Manhatten.

Whatever the reason, I'd prefer to have the towers there, and I don't think removing them is a positive reaction to recent events. There is no stronger way to remember the people that have been lost and the lives of those affected than by looking at the World Trade Centre as it was, and giving them just a moment of thought.

I'm sure other people will agree with me, and also I can see why some will disagree. Some may want to forget about the WTC because they have been affected directly by the attacks, while others may have no opinion about the subject. You may even think that Hollywood can do whatever they want to, because the movies, as fiction, have no direct connection with real life.

Eventually, new movies will be produced without the familiar Manhatten landmark. Until then, my personal opinion is that existing footage should be retained.

2. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Personally I would agree with removing the Twin Towers from a production such as Spider-man. Not at all because it may 'offend' some people, but - call me cold if you will - because they are no longer there and I like movies to fit in with current events as much as possible. To leave the images in such a movie just wouldn't make any sense practically.

In the case of the Simpsons, this is really saddening. Why are images of the Twin Towers being removed from pre-existing material? Because these are 'sensitive' images that may 'offend' some. My apologies if I fail to understand this way of thinking, but I really can't see the families and friends of the victims of Sept 11th caring one bit if the Twin Towers turn up in an old episode of the Simpsons. It's only being removed for those silly groups of the public who believe they need to be over sensitive on behalf of the victims families, and remove all trace of anything that might cause anyone to remember these events.

This seems like a growing trend that troubles me. I remember especially missing two episodes of 'Homicide: Life On The Street' on Channel 4, because these episodes featured the use of guns, and might offend people because of the Dunblane tragedy. Fair enough, but these episodes were to be shown over a year after the incident in question. And to remove Dangermouse DVD's entitled 'The Towers of Terror' is going too far. We shouldn't be forgetting such events, wiping them from all records, pretending they never existed and denying the possibility of these things in the world. I can't see that the people most closely effected by such events would want this.

I just constantly remember that wise old saying, 'Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it'. How are we expected to learn from history when the most accessed media in the world is dedicated to removing any trace of it...

...that is at least until fifty years from now when Hollywood will see no reason to coat the tragedy of Sept 11th with movie glamour, and make a sickly romance from the whole horrible event. I'm sure no one alive at the time of the Titanic disaster would ever imagined people enjoying a reconstruction of the tradegy as a form of entertainment. How sick is that really?

3. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tony,
    Very good thread.
    I think there are two main reasons hollywood has decided to cut out the Twin Towers.

Firstly, Pride.
    The American peoples Pride has suffered a terrible blow and has been hurt no end. The scars of this tragedy will last a long, long time. Prior to these cowardly attacks, the USA seemed almost untouchable and relatively immune to the terrorism, horrors and injustice that go on every day around the world in less fortunate countries.
    This sad event has brought home to many that terror has very long arms and can indeed bring direct harm to the American people or any other western first world country like the UK.
    I would also suggest that constantly being reminded of the terrorists success with the destruction of the Towers is the last thing people would want.

Secondly, Hurt.
    To a large extent, most of us in the western world felt a great deal of hurt for these unfortunate everyday working folk and their families. The murder of innocent people is probably the biggest hurt of all.
    Would anyone need to remember that someones wife plunged to her death from the 90th floor or that anothers husband was burnt alive by the flames that so quickly engulfed them. I dont think so.
    Again, this hurt will last for a long time.

Eric

4. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,976
    Having all these scenes removed from films, and deleting any film/programme that even has a hint of Twin Towers is a load of rubbish.

How many disaster movies have been made in the last 50 years??

hundreds, proberly thousands.....and no doubt when people watch these, somebody somewhere has lost a family member or friend in some kind of disaster where it be earthquake, volcano, sinking ship, buildings been blown up, etc.

The only reason, this is happening, is because its one of americas greatest landmarks, and when america say jump, the rest of the world says "how high?"

nothing should change in films or programs. You can destroy all the video footage, newspaper reports, or whatever, but at the end of the day, the event will still live on in peoples memories.

And people will not forget what happened overnight!

5. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,236
    I personally believe removing traces of the Twin Towers is in denial and are they not going to rebuild them?
    Please bear with me on this, but was it Dunblane where they were planning or have pulled it down and rebuilt a new school. To me that is wiping a tragedy under the mat, I would have thought it better to leave the schools standing and put a big plaque up commemorating those that died there.

It seem if something bad happens and is on the national news programs are pulled, yet if something very similar happens that does not make the national news the same program is not pulled.
    Also (not quite the same as above, but an example) if a comedy program about a funeral was going to be transmitted, and it happened the same day as someone very famous funeral it would be pulled, yet every day funerals happen and the same program would be transmitted.

6. Tony P

Tony P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't think it would be possible to make the majority of blockbuster movies without "dramatising" a similar event that has happened in the real world, and that has caused pain and suffering to people all over the world. Explosions, plane crashes and shootings are familiar screen activities, and will continue to be. However, I think that a movie that depicts a particular event that actually happened is wrong, particularly if many lives have been lost of affected as a result. James Cameron's "Titanic" is just such a movie, where a factual event is dramatised and glamourised (from a certain point of view) for entertainment. Only the fact that the event occured so long ago has allowed Titanic to be made in so much detail today.

My original post was based around the latest stories about the removal of the World Trade Centre towers from future releases, and after reading the replies so far my opinion on the subject is becoming a little clearer. I think that it would be right to remove the references to the towers if, like in the case of Spiderman, they are integral to the plot of the story, and therefore are depicted in close detail. I don't think - at this point in time, anyway - that it is right to directly glamourise the WTC for pure entertainment. It's too soon and too close to so many people to be enjoyable. However, I still disagree with the practice of removing all traces of the WTC from movies currectly in production if they are simply depicting a location or setting. My personal opinion is that if a movie is being made today that has scenes featuring the pre-September New York skyline, and the WTC towers are not directly part of the story, then they should be left alone - if for no other reason than as a subtle tribute to those affected.

What I find really sad is when suggestions are made to *hide* the WTC from existing material, such as dramas set in NYC and (as mentioned above) the Simpsons. The same goes for cancelling programmes or movies on TV, DVD or video because they show a picture of the fallen towers. I think there is a risk of causing more hurt to those affected by .not showing such material, due to the publiciy that such actions would likely create. I may be wrong about this last observation, but part of the process of dealing with such terrible events is to confront it, and hopefully reach a point where you can move on - where the memories remain, but they no longer have the same overpowering burden that prevents you from getting on with other things in life. To me, removing the WTC is a form of denial, which is bad for all concerned.

Although this thread only has a loose relationship to home cinema, I just want to say thanks for the great replies!

Tony

7. squid

squid
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    it dos'nt stop at tv and film aswell . a tone of games have been canceled that basicaly have anything at all to do with anything . i know of at least 2 spiderman being the biggest

i realy hate this sort of thing . it's bad enough that the towers fell without getting rid of any memory of them . i hope they rebuild them and dedicate them to the dead . ifthey don't it will be sad indeed

i was speaking to my brother about that simpsons ep a while back and se said it will probably never bee seen again

the worst thing that can bee done is to sweep things under the table . people need to know these things have hapened and they where not very nice at all . no one learns from a page of history if it is torn from the books . children need to be able to ask "what happened to the towers ? why ar'nt they there anymore?" if they don't ask how can they know :(

8. Matt

Matt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    It will be interesting to see if the second part of the Lord of the Rings Trilogy goes out with the correct titles : The Two Towers