Editing in Windows Live Movie Maker

hkbs

Established Member
Reaction score
At last, I have successfully created a movie from old cinefilms using WLMM.

There are a few frames which I would like to cut before burning the DVD but I can't work out how to do this. If I use 'Cut', it takes out the whole of the film I have added.

Can anyone help, please?

Thanks. I have read the link but it shows a Timeline which doesn't appear to be available in my version - Windows Live Movie Maker, Version 2011 (Build 15.4.3538.0513).

I don't normally use Movie Maker, On Win 7 I just tried this

Using the Edit tab, move the indicator to the desired first cut point, click the trim tool set start point, move to the point you want playback to start again and click set end point. Works OK for me just tried it on a .vob DVD file renamed as a .mpg file

Haven't got the hang of that!
I got to the point where I wanted to cut something out.
Selected trim start point and then went to where I wanted to start again.
The only option I got was Save Trim.
When I tried to delete that bit, the whole video disappeared! What did I do wrong, please?

i did a short family video last month using wlmm and i have quiet a few clips that i wanted to edit and leave out some frames

i remember setting the start and end time points and then click on the save option (think this on the top right hand side) and save it as a new avi or wmv file.

its possible as i was a novice when i started but after several attempts managed to get it done.

hope this helps

When I hit Save, it seemed to save only the bits I wanted to remove!

Haven't got the hang of that!
I got to the point where I wanted to cut something out.
Selected trim start point and then went to where I wanted to start again.
The only option I got was Save Trim.
When I tried to delete that bit, the whole video disappeared! What did I do wrong, please?

The trim tool has two buttons on my Windows Movie Maker. After selecting the start point and clicking on set end points the bit between the two diappears and the gap is closed in the clip automatically. There's no other buttons or actions needed.

Click to set start, click to set end and action the trim command.

When you set the start and end points, does your WMM say, Save Trim? I don't understand that bit!

When you set the start and end points, does your WMM say, Save Trim? I don't understand that bit!

No it just does it :confused: If you look at the duration indicator under the preview window it goes down by the amount you chop out. Eg if you chop out 25 frames the total duration is 1 second less.

It's not exactly easy to use compared to more traditional editors with proper timelines and a seperate cut preview window.

Misleading you I was trimming off the beginning. looks as if you have to split the clip at the beginning and end and delete the new clip created. Frankly its an awfull editor. I will check this out for you

That works but it takes for ever after the first split to show a preview of the second clip created by the first split so you can identify where to make the second cut it's near useless. Only using it on 720 x 576 mpeg2 footage. Heaven knows how it would work with 1920 x 1080 footage. Best advice use a better editor.

Last edited:
I have been using Split this afternoon. Seems to work reasonably well. I tried downloading other editors but didn't get on too well with them. I tried DVD Flick but it wouldn't open my files - said they were 'unsupported'.
Unfortunately, I am not going to have a lot of time now, I need to get the DVDs done fairly quickly.
Thanks for your help.

If you've got yr cine-film nearly right, burn the DVD and keep it safe!

Before attempting an extra Edit, set up a short vid using whatever clips come to hand....experiment with the edit tools - I'd expect it to be intuitive - but I've only used "Live" once, but don't recall any real problems with cutting.
You can try YouTube for tutorials; but for such a popular product (even Free), it is surprising you find it insn't possible to work out basic tool-use.

Good luck.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom