1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Editing In Dvd+rw

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Nick Beal, May 30, 2005.

1. Nick Beal

Nick Beal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I wonder if anyone has a view on the following...
    Without wishing to reignite the Philips debate,I have had a number of their machines over the past 4 or 5 years and have found them absolutely OK.A couple have been sent back to be repaired by Philips for the usual reasons and I suppose I see them as cheap and disposable.My current model is the DVDR75 which I have used to copy hundreds of hours of movies from Sky and Freeview RGB sources mostly in M2 mode.I do not use the internal tuner or the timer.The latter function being one that would often fail on my other Philips machines.The picture quality looks fine on both my Sim Projector and my ancient Pioneer rear projection TV.
    What I really like is the ease of editing in DVD+RW.ie Make chapter marks and
    then 'hiding' the chapters before 'making edits compatible'.This is easy and precise allowing me to virtually seamlessly remove the ads.
    However,I'm now looking to upgrade and I am very attracted to the Sony range particularly the HX-900.My local sony shop is offering me one at a discount!These are my questions......
    Would the user-friendly DVD+RW editing facilities in the Philips be replicated in the Sony machine?
    Is the hype about the Sony's playback quality being as good as a standalone player accurate? My present player is an aging Pioneer 717 -would I see an improvement?
    Would I really see an improvement in recording quality over the Philips?-Which looks very acceptable.
    I would be really interested in any feedback on the editing facilities on the current crop of Sony recorders! :hiya:

2. Loobster

Loobster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    There's no real way to know unless you try it. You would expect that newer MPEG encoders to be better than older ones but that's not necessarily the case. I have a new Pioneer recorder and it looks pretty much the same as my Philips DVDR980 in SP/M2 mode.

You do not get the full +RW feature set in Sony machines, which are often (incorrectly) called dual-format machines. So take a look at the specs carefully and decide whether it has all the functions you need. The Sony models are reported to have very good PQ though.

Perhaps some owners of Sony machines will chime in.

--Loob.

3. Steve_P

Steve_P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    Would the Sony shop in question not let you have a thorough play with the HX900 before making the purchase? That way you could test the editing facilities and see if they measure up to your previous Philips machines.

S.

4. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,217
    The Pioneer models are (relatively) weak performers and that, coupled with the fact you only have a 28" CRT, is why you cannot determine a major picture difference Loobster.

To answer the original poster's questions though: the Sony DVD recorders are excellent machines that will offer a significant quality improvement over your DVDR75 for DVD playback (they are no match for a decent standalone DVD player though).

Editing on the Sony models isn't their strongest point - most users pickup a Panasonic, Toshiba or Pioneer if they wish to do this - but it is adequate. The new Sony RDR-510 corrects many of the problems of the 900 though and is well worth trialling as it offers full playlist functionality on the HDD. TBH once you get a HDD 'on disc' editing such as that offered by the standalones won't be of much interest.

Alot of ex-Philips owners have migrated to the Sony range for obvious reasons and few are disappointed. As Steve points out though most Sony stores or independent retailers will give you a demo before you buy.

5. musukebba

musukebba

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Some info on the HX910, the newer HDD version, elsewhere on this forum (here). You might like to use it as a comparison for the editing facilities on the HX900, even if you don't necessarily want a HDD-based machine.

IIRC the HX900 doesn't record to +R DL, whereas the 910 does.

6. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,217
    The 910 isn't properly available in the UK yet. The versions offered for sale by a number of websites are grey imports and are best avoided. The UK version of the 910 will have a DVB tuner. In the meantime the 510 is available as a UK version and offers the same features but with a smaller HDD.

7. Chris at Home

Chris at Home

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, I shall chime in! I bought the HX-900 in February. Regarding the post from Nick Beal about seamless edits in DVD+ format, there is a problem, but only a slight one.

The frame accuracy can only be guaranteed to a tolerance of 12 frames. It might be less but the cut point "A" could be anything between 1 and 12 frames late and the "B" end could be 1 to 11 frames early when you play it back after the editing. You must cut at least 25 frames out or the erasing won't work.

An easy way to find out if the edit was successful is to watch the "erasing...please wait" message. If it appears and disappears in less than 1 second, the frames have not been erased.

The Hard drive and the DVD (VR mode) differ here. You must cut at least 50 frames or you will receive a message telling you cannot set the "B" edit at this point. There are 3 exceptions to this:

(1) You are cutting out the first frame (or more including the first frame).

(2) You are cutting out the very last frame (or more including the last frame).

(3) You are cutting out frames either side of a chapter mark.

To get to the very first frame, use play, pause, then the |<< button to jump back to the beginning of the chapter. The instruction book does not make that clear but it is usually possible to discover tricks they don't tell you about.

Note that when you make an edit, a new chapter mark is inserted. If you make a mistake on an edit and a few frames remain, it is possible to wipe them out with a second edit. If you erase too many frames... tough, so dont!

8. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,217
    The new 510 offers HDD non-destructive (playlist) editing now. Well worth considering for this feature alone.

9. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The main problem on the 900 is the lack of DIVIDE on its HDD.
    If you like editing,there are much better out there