Editing in 1920x1080 from Canon HF10

MarcdeRidder

Standard Member
Althoug I'm extremely experienced with still photography, when it comes to movies I'm pretty wet behind the ears.

Just got a Canon HF10 and I'm impressed with its quality. However, ImageMixer 3 supplied by Canon is for Windows only and I run a Macbook Pro.

I was considering using Apple Final Cut Express 4, but I'm confused as to whether this is limiting the quality. A quick search on the web indicates FCE4 only supports 1440x1080. Is this true?

If so, are there any programs out there for the Mac that support 1920x1080 which do not cost an arm and a leg?

Any help appreciated.

Cheers.

macdaddy

Solidstate

What was all this stuff I heard about when iMovie08 came out that claimed that the programme edited HD footage in 960x540 internally and then scaled it back up again when outputting it at 1080 (thereby claiming that the footage output is just upscaled 540) - was it all just guff?

What was all this stuff I heard about when iMovie08 came out that claimed that the programme edited HD footage in 960x540 internally and then scaled it back up again when outputting it at 1080 (thereby claiming that the footage output is just upscaled 540) - was it all just guff?
You get a choice, by default it suggests to do it in 960x540. But you can override to do it in its native size...

I'm actually preparing a sample of two exactly the same movies in both internal workings to see whether you can see the difference in real life....Should be up over the weekend....

Solidstate

Thanks for this – I’ll be interested to see the outcome of your results. I assume that this is footage from your TG3 so it’d probably be best to continue this discussion over in that forum – I’ll probably have some questions to ask you about output formats and kb/ps when you’ve had chance to experiment a bit.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic HX800 TV + Sony HT-G700 Soundbar reviews, movie and TV show news and reviews
Top Bottom