1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Editing DVD on a PC ?

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by robroy, Nov 19, 2004.

1. robroy

robroy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    here's a question which is probably quite simple to answer but for non-techies like me seems difficult...
    I want to present a lecture illustrated with film exerpts. I have a load of DVDs and VHS tapes but want to get all the clips onto one DVD so that I don't have to mess about during the presentation. The tapes are not a problem as I can capture them with Pinnacle and I could do the same with the DVDs but is there a way of getting the DVD data directly into Premiere Pro without playing it on a player (analogue) and then converting it back through Pinnacle Studio?
    I've got Adobe Premiere Pro as an editing system.
    I've got Pinnacle Studio 9 as a capture system.
    Q1. How can I get stuff from a DVD edited? Do I have to get a DVD player and connect it to the "break out box" and suffer a loss of quality as it's converted from digital to analogue and back again or...
    Q2. Is there a way to get the DVD data directly converted into something Premiere Pro understands and can work with?

Anyone able to explain this in words a moron (me) can understand?

2. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +145
    Are the DVDs encrypted?

If so then you will need some software to decrypt them.

DVD Decryptor is best for this but DVD Shrink is better for extracting several clips from one DVD (also has limited decryption).
    You will only lose qualit yif you add further compression with Shrink, otherwise the quality will be sxactly the same as the original DVD.

Do a google on the two.

3. robroy

robroy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that.

Forgive my ignorance but are these programes which will enable me to put a DVD in the drive, and then get the data saved on my hard drive and convert it to AVI files?
    For some reason I can't seem to get my head around this bit.

Rob.

4. vonhosen

vonhosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
  5. Brian110507

Brian110507

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    robroy

Yes it is quite possible to put the DVD in you PC tray and capture the films on it to your hard disc and then edit them before burning a brand new DVD - BUT - it does depend on where the original DVD came from - is it a commercially purchased disc and therfore possibly encrypted and copyright protected or is it a DVD produced on a computer by you or a friend/acquintance. THATS what makes the difference in what software you need.

6. robroy

robroy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Aaaah... thanks.
    Well, I suppose it would be from commercially made DVDs since I want to get a series of exerpts from feature films to illustrate a lecture. I don't know whether or not they have a security encryption but I would suppose that they have.