1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Editing dvd advice required

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Mr.D, Jan 20, 2004.

1. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,126
    Here's what I'm up to.

I'm putting my showreel together and I have two options of doing it.

Record onto miniDV from my standalone player via svideo the shots I require from various region2 dvds. Pull the DV onto my PC via firewire. Edit the footage ( I have numerous apps that will handle this simple editing job) . Dump back to miniDV. Dub off to vhs as required , get it transcoded professionally for NTSC locales.

or

Rip direct from the dvd to the PC . Pull out the required shots , edit in suitable package.Burn to dvd , dubb from master dvd if required on vhs, Convert to NTSC on PC ( can do this quite easily for frame based material with some software I have)) and burn alternative version for relevant locales.

I'd like to tackle this entirely at home.

I have software for editing and file reormatting all I need is some advice as to the best way of ripping and editing portions off dvd. (I'd prefer not to have to rip the entire dvd for a handful of shots unless necessary).

First option is pretty straight forward but not so flexible.
    Second option will really be about file conversion issues most likely but its potentially less hassle and offers more options ...and gives me an excuse to buy a dvd burner!

ta