Editing disc in Roxio Easy Media Creator 9

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Making Forum' started by Dennis Leighton, Sep 20, 2007.

1. Dennis Leighton

Dennis Leighton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    To save time and trouble I copied from my camcorder to my DVD and created a disc. Senu suggested a speedy way to edit was to copy the disc to the P.C. and edit there. I am using Roxio Easy Media Creator 9 but whilst I have copied it twice onto the P.C. I cannot find it!! I asked for it to be saved thus: C:\documents an\image_o70920_0838.gi but I have searched without success to locate it - could someone kindly tell me where I should be looking! I really am getting too old for this game:rolleyes:

2. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +620
    The file should be where you specififed...
    You can open up windows explorer or "my computer" and search for the file there.

But...

I'm not sure if you will be able to edit based on a .gi file. It's more normal to save the DVD as folders (VIDEO_TS folder containing several .VOB and other files).

3. Dennis Leighton

Dennis Leighton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    Very many thanks Mark for that most helpful reply. I'll give it another go and at least this time I have a little more knowledge:clap:

4. senu

senu
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,811
    In short, do a search in windows , specify file as *.vob, you should find the files in their folder
    If not dont bother to "import " through Roxio.
    Just copy the Video-TS folder from the DVD as if it were a data DVD any where you like on your system and then edit the VOB files.
    They are mpeg2 files and can be renamed as such if need be

5. Dennis Leighton

Dennis Leighton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    Senu, very many thanks for your reply. I have now found it though only by using Adobe Premiere Elements 3.0 which I must say I have found easier to use than Roxio. I do find it very confusing with all the file extensions etc., though I find that your way for editing is so much better. I have taken cine and video for such a long time now that, thankfully, there is never much editing to do which is why I now prefer your way - the computer, at times, can be very daunting for me!:thumbsup:

6. senu

senu
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,811
    I think you are are doing very well. Getting to grips with computer programs and their peculiarities is far from second nature.
    Even if you get sleek at doing it there is always something new to learn. The results always seem to justify the effort though

As an aside, I have been a Doctor now for 17 years (this month :rolleyes:) ( although I still get asked sometimes "Are you a junior doctor?":rolleyes:) and marvel at how much things have changed since when I was training. I can imagine how perturbed some of my more mature colleagues must be as the computer has infiltrated every area of practice

Back on topic: Roxio is (IMHO) very good for audio work (if you ever need it for that) . As you've sussed out, it has not been able to compete as well in the area of video (IMO) with its contemporaries
    Feel free to post your queries or use the PM method if you get stuck
    All the best:)

7. Dennis Leighton

Dennis Leighton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    You obviously have youth on your side Senu being constantly asked if you're a 'Junior Doctor' instead of a Consultant! As you say, I certainly have found Roxio easier for audio onto DVD's but it's a different ball game for me on the editing side! Still, I console myself that I now get a free T.V.licence!:clap: