1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Editing Digital8?

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by Hotblack, Aug 7, 2002.

1. Hotblack

Hotblack
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I've just recorded my sisters wedding using Sony's Digital8 format. I Plug the camcorder into the TV (36") using standard connectors and the picture quality is excellent, but can I get it onto the PC to edit it?

I doubt that I'll be doing a lot of editing, just home use so what would be a good but cheap package?

They will only want a VHS copy of the wedding so there's no need to burn it to DVD. My PC is a 1.2ghz with 40g HD with 256 DDR ram, will this be enough?

2. altruist

altruist

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Regarding editing Digital 8 formats. Ideally speaking, I have no idea about its compatibility for editing. But since its just digital recording on Hi8 tapes, I guess it would still be the same for the software.
    I believe all the normal DV editing softwares should work good. Adobe Premier is the High end professional style software with a tag of ~$500. You could get a lot of other softwares for home use like ULead, MGI photosuite etc which are very good too if you are considering low profile editing.
    Since you are going to get it recorded on the VHS tape make sure that the camcorder has both DVin and DV out functions enabled. In Europe the DV in function is disabled. You can get it enabled with one of the third party solutions. One of the threads in the forum has details about this.
    The raw footage is bulky on memory. A 15 minutes movie will be about 3.5GB. So the free space on the hard disc depends on this. Otherwise the configuration is good enough to start with.
    Good luck with the process
    Bye
    Arul

3. Hotblack

Hotblack
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Arul

If it had a DV output I guess it would be relatively straight forward. But the only outputs are the usual stereo and video jacks and an s-video connector. I guess I should have included this in my post as my question is "what can I use with these connections to edit a digital8 tape and record it to VHS?

4. JefUK

JefUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Install Pinnacle DC10+ which will input and output s-video, as well as composite.

The PC looks OK for editing, you may run out of HDD space with a big edit though.

However, I believed Sony Digital8 cameras had a firewire output, with some having a firewire input. Indeed some Digtal8 cameras can be used as analogue to DV convertors.