1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Editing & Chaptering question

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by delrio, Jul 5, 2004.

1. delrio

delrio

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a neeed for a DVD recorder that will allow me to
    (1) Dump a series of 2 to 4 minute video segments to disc.
    (2) Trim the segments to cut extraneous frames from the beginning and end of the sequences. Absolute frame-accurate editing isn't necessary; trimming to the "nearest second" or so would do.
    (3) Chapter title the segments.
    (4) I want to avoid using proprietary video modes that won't play on other brands of DVD players.

So, I'd be looking at creating over 20 chapters per disc, all trimmed after recording.

Can anybody tell me which of the recorders currently on the market (barring the $1800 pro models) that have the capability of doing the above?

Thanks!
    Del Rio

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,214
    delrio, from the sounds of it your cheapest bet is a PC DVD burner. You don't mention what other uses you want to make of your DVD recorder which makes it difficult to advise further along those lines. Any of the HDD/DVDR combos will do what you want with good accuracy. None of the standalone (i.e. no HDD) DVD-RAM/DVD-RW/DVD-R recorders will allow you to edit in DVD Video mode (which is the format that plays on other DVD players). The DVD+RW machines will allow you to hide scenes and still play on other DVD players although there are very few people who end up being content with the process because it is fairly inaccurate - you'll find you end up chopping off the start of your sequences etc.

I notice you quote a price in US Dollars - are you from North America? The only reason I ask is that these forums are UK based and much of the knowledge base/members only have experience in UK marketted equipment which can differ substantially in features and performance from it's North American equivalent. Accordingly we are probably not best placed to offer you advice. May I suggest:
    www.avsforum.com
    www.dvdrhelp.com
    I'm not trying to fob you off or anything but many of the issues that affect our purchases here are 'non-issues' in the US/Canada.

3. delrio

delrio

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Whoops! :zonked: No offense taken - that was clearly me not doing my investigations before entering the fray!

Thanks!
    Del Rio