• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Editing blemishes from time-lapse footage

axiomprime

I need a tool to remove blotches, usually birds, from video. I've tried searching the interwebs but I don't even know the right terms. I'm guessing the software that's used to remove wires from stunt scenes or to clean up old cine footage would do it.

Anyone know the name of a piece of software that does that? Anything that'll stop me individually painting them out would be great.

grahamlthompson

In memoriam
You need Adobe After Effects to do the job properly. It's not cheap and a steep learning curve :eek: You could export the clip as a sequence of frames and use a photo editor like photoshop to clone out the offending item frame by frame (rotoscoping) but it's a very painstaking process.

Another possibility is to use a copy of the same clip displaced slightly (or rescaled) and use a travelling matte to let the displaced clip show through where the offending items are.

axiomprime

I had a cfx plugin for iMove that cost something stupid like 2 dollars. It had a pipette so you could match the colours and paint over things. I never even bothered matching the colours too well because it's only onscreen for 1/25th of a second. You couldn't get away with my level of sloppiness on photos.

It's way too labour intensive to paint birds out if you're doing timelapse at the seaside. Seagulls never seem to get bored of swirling around in my shot. There can be 10 or 15 per frame for minutes at a time.

I've found 3prong DirtFIX that looks like my kinda tool but it's 80dollars it plugs into Avid which I think is out of my price range. "Transient dirt" seems to be the search term I was after.

Last edited:

grahamlthompson

In memoriam
If the camera is totally static the easy way is simply to substitute a whole new Sky. Export a frame and use a photo editor to create a mask round the object being filmed (Black and White). Use this as a matte to replace the background of the time lapse footage with another Sky (You can choose either the black or the white for the bit of the footage to be replaced). Even a simple photo can be used. Only takes a few minutes.

axiomprime

I forgot about that. That will be a lot easier when I get the software. I've never been one for photo editing.

I'm after something that'll do the whole thing for me. I'd settle for drawing a box around the blemishes but I shouldn't really have to do that. If I was better at coding I'm confident I could write something that would automatically pinch bits of the last/next frame to get rid of anything that doesn't belong.

grahamlthompson

In memoriam
I forgot about that. That will be a lot easier when I get the software. I've never been one for photo editing.

I'm after something that'll do the whole thing for me. I'd settle for drawing a box around the blemishes but I shouldn't really have to do that. If I was better at coding I'm confident I could write something that would automatically pinch bits of the last/next frame to get rid of anything that doesn't belong.

If the problem is confined to a single frame simply put a copy of the same footage on the lower priority track displaced by one frame. Use a garbage matte to let the shifted track appropriate bits show through for the frames that need it.

axiomprime

That sounds totally bitching. I'll give that a go. I've only just got Vegas and I don't know what I'm doing on it yet (and don't know if that's possible) but I'll give it a damn good go.

Thanks for the tip.

grahamlthompson

In memoriam
That sounds totally bitching. I'll give that a go. I've only just got Vegas and I don't know what I'm doing on it yet (and don't know if that's possible) but I'll give it a damn good go.

Thanks for the tip.

Pretty well any decent editor lets you use a Matte (A Grey scale Image) to make a portion of a background image replace a bit of the foreground track. It's a basic requirement for compositing. I don't use vegas but premiere has had this capability right from the early versions.

grahamlthompson

In memoriam
Oh right. So it's just like chromakey stuff? I'm sure I can do that.

Yep just the same except it's not related to the colour of the footage (you can reverse the black and white). Usually used with a 256 grey scale image, Black lets 100% of the background image show through, White stops any of the background image showing through, 50% grey mixes 50% of both tracks so they are mixed equally. If you create a black circle and a white background and then do a big feather so the edge is a gradual transition from black to white the result when used as a matte is the background clip merges seamlessly with the foreground. once you have the matte all you have to do is scale and move the matte to the object you need to remove from the foreground.

To make it easy cut and delete the the background track so that the frames you want to modify are isolated from the OK ones. This means you dont have to animate the matte so it does not affect the OK frames,

Let us know how you get on :D

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom