• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Edinburgh Fireworks Tonight - Anyone Going?

onefivenine

Prominent Member
Planning to try and get some shots this year but not deciced where to go yet... somewhere I can set up the tripod without people bumping into it... maybe Inverleith/Ferry Road.
Have you got any locations in mind Dave?

iGiDK

Established Member
Not sure mate to be honest, Inveleith/Ferry Rd - is that near the Botanic Garden yeah?

Down by the water at Inverleith Park would be pretty cool actually as you may get some interesting reflections

Would be cool to be up at Arthurs seat but the place will probably be swarming with neds :)

Calton Hill will probably be mobbed

As would Holyrood park or near the parliament I'd expect

allymac123

Prominent Member
I'm either going out clubbing or shooting the fireworks - not decided which yet!

had a look on flickr to see if I could find any shots from inverleith park and discovered this seems he had the same idea as you!

I'd personally prefer to shoot from somewhere where you can see the castle otherwise the fireworks could be just anywhere so I'd prefer to show them in context of the castle.

I think Calton Hill is definately the place to be. Although if they start at 9 you'd probably need to be there at 8ish to get a decent tripod spot. Probably be worth it though...

iGiDK

Established Member
I'd reckon earlier mate, a lot of people will want to be up there as that is the prime spot - and a cracking location it is too :)

Keep me posted though, I'm not sure yet if I'll be through or not - got some work to do this afternoon and also an interview to prepare for

onefivenine

Prominent Member
You get a decent enough view of the Castle from Ferry Road, near the cricket/rugby ground. Less buildings in the way compared to Inverleith Park... so I think I'll head along there.
Reckon on taking the 70-200mm, tripod, and a black card.

allymac123

Prominent Member
Think I am deffinately going to catch them from somewhere. Think I will give Calton hill a try depending on what time I finish tea. If it is a lost hope I"ll give ferry road a shot.

iGiDK

Established Member
Not going to make this one unfortunately as I've still got tons of stuff to do that'll keep me tied for the next couple of hours at least :(

Have a good one, looking forward to seeing your results

jwramsay

Established Member
Going to give it a miss, but its looking a cracking night for it, and will be checking this thread tomorrow to see your efforts.

Enjoy the evening, the Edinburgh fireworks are ACE!

onefivenine

Prominent Member
It was great weather for fireworks tonight, a slight westerly wind blew the smoke in the direction of Holyrood, down the Royal Mile, and no rain for a change!

I set up my tripod on a wall, lens poked through an iron fence, at the rugby ground on Ferry Road. Clear view of the Castle from there :)

Settings-wise, I shot at f/8 on bulb mode using mirror lockup and a cable release. I just guess-timated the exposure times, mostly about 3 or 4 seconds would catch a burst or two of the pyrotechnics.

I was quite pleased with the results. I shot about 100 frames during the 45 minute show. Not planning to post many as they do look a bit samey after a while, but here are a few to get things going! :) Images are clickable for a larger view ;)

(1)

(2)

(3)

P.S. sorry you couldn't make it Dave, and Ally, I hope you got a good spot where-ever you ended up! Looking forward to see any others out there.

onefivenine

Prominent Member
cheers iceman, did you get to see the show? town was heaving when we dropped off our friends in the car...
Oh well that's the festival over for another year...:rolleyes: at least we can walk down princes st more easily now without the crowds! :)
Must put a few more shots up on flickr... it's hard to pick a favourite handful out of 100 or so shots that all look pretty much alike. :eek:

SweetGirl

Prominent Member
See you saved the best one for last...

Great collection....looks like you had so much fun.

onefivenine

Prominent Member
Thanks sweetgirl.
I cropped the last one a bit. It's impossible to judge just how much sky each burst will fill before you've locked up the mirror! And then it's too late!
The others have had no PP whatsoever, just a slight high-pass filter for sharpening.

iGiDK

Established Member
Cracking results mate, love the colours in #2 and the last one - looks like there was a bit of a breeze blowing last night.

Nice one

Hoping for clear skies and calm weather on Nov 5th :)

onefivenine

Prominent Member
Cheers Dave, have actually started to upload a few of the more colourful ones to my flickr, but I'm not going to clog up the forum with them.

5th November could be good, but you might have to head a bit further south for the big firework shows ;)

allymac123

Prominent Member
Nice shots Dave. The wind looks really strong in those photo's!! It's interesting how much more spread out the fireworks appear from this location. Up Arthurs seat they were all merged into the one spot.

onefivenine

Prominent Member
Thanks vulkan and ally.
Yep it's cool to see the variation you get from different locations.
Next year I maight aim for some buildings to fram the shots. Scott Monument perhaps... hmmm! Plenty of ideas for the next attempt anyway. :)

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom