Quantcast

Edge of Tomorrow AVForums Review

wrist

Watched this at IMAX3D in Birmingham on Saturday nite. Superb motion picture and superb presentation from IMAX. This film is so 'in your face' and the pace is almost non stop its absolutely breathtaking. Best couple of hours I have spent at the cinema in a very long time.

HariSeldon

Agreed. Loved it.

I can spend plenty of time looking at Emily Blunt ;)

jj75

Annoyingly I seem to be in the position of everyone loving it but me, despite turning up expecting to. Thought the cgi mimics were lame and there was no sense of danger given the whole "repeat" angle. Found myself wishing I'd spent 2 hours playing gears of war rather than watching this.......

mitor

Loved this, totally loved it. I'd go for 9/10 as well

mentasm

Watched this at IMAX3D in Birmingham on Saturday nite. Superb motion picture and superb presentation from IMAX. This film is so 'in your face' and the pace is almost non stop its absolutely breathtaking. Best couple of hours I have spent at the cinema in a very long time.
I felt like I had. Whole thing felt like watching a game.

geogan

Saw this in Imax3D also and agree with review - great film. But... I hear it was post-processed 3D and that makes sense because the 3D was pointless and might as well have not been there.

If I had known it was post-processed I would have went to 2D screening (don't even know if there was this option).

Also VERY loud - i'm half deaf at this stage from loud noise and this was still loud to me.

And I don't know if it was the 3D glasses, the extensive motion blurring during action scenes, the loud noise, the huge Imax screen or what, but I found myself getting a bit of motion sickness (like reading in a shaky vehicle if you're not used to it) - never happened to me before in an film. The picture definitely lost a lot of resolution and was very blurry in action. I was thinking if it gets this bad even with a state of the art 4k DLP cinema projector...

Anyway as others have said the cinema was far from full... hope this makes enough money to convince studios to make films like this or, as someone else said, we are doomed to a future of superhero and movie sequels...

t bone

On the strength of oblivion I'm definitely gonna give this a watch, I'll do anything to stop the march of superhero movies.

QuestShield

Distinguished Member
Just back from IMAX, thoroughly enjoyable time at the movies. 8.5/10. Good man the Cruiser great sci-fi under his belt.

silent ninja

I just got back. I enjoyed it. Such a shame even on orange Wednesday there were few watching this and droves going to xmen -- that was good but certainly not worth a cinema trip whereas films like this are. Cruise and Blunt were great. He showed that Tropic Thunder humour in this. Definitely one of his best performances in the last decade. Action was good too and visually everything was executed well as you'd expect. Go watch it!

sergiup

Distinguished Member
Mm, Emily Blunt... looks like must-watch (for many more reasons than just this), thank you for the review, Cas!

raymondo77

Distinguished Member
Just back from seeing this at Crawley IMAX.

Thoroughly enjoyed it, although I'm going to have to go back and watch it again in 2D as the IMAX 3D presentation was blurry as hell and easily the worst thing about the film.

As others have mentioned, the cinema was deserted, which is an absolute pity.

Jim Di Griz

Distinguished Member
On the strength of oblivion I'm definitely gonna give this a watch, I'll do anything to stop the march of superhero movies.
Careful there. I get slated for saying stuff like that about the never ending, mindless, childish generic superhero films! ;-)

Im not including Dark Knight Trilogy, V for Vendetta or Watchmen with those by the way.

raymondo77

Distinguished Member
Ahh, V For Vendetta, one of the most underrated films of the past decade. Warchowski script writing at their best.

El_MUERkO

Saw it at the IMAX in Manchester yesterday, it's a cracking film!

HariSeldon

Interesting to read the comments regarding the pointless 3D and blurry picture. I also thought the picture was very soft and lacking brightness - assumed i was just spoilt at home these days. I'll look forward to watching it again on Blu-ray.

Agree re the superhero movies - getting very tedious now. What frustrates me, as someone who reads a lot of sci-fi, is why the major studios aren't picking up on the stories like Hamilton's Void trilogy, or Reynolds Revelation Space / House of Suns. Surely these would make brilliant movies given sufficient budget to do them justice? Although I guess they did a pretty good job of ruining an excellent opportunity with Enders Game.