Edge of Darkness (Bob Peck, BBC Blu-ray UK November 2019)

IGC

In the top 10 best things ever on TV. Scared the hell out of me.

Never wanted to go near the sort of remake film with Mel Gibson -albeit with a good cast- as it would damage the greatness of the original series.

How the Internet used to look when this place was all fields: http://fabulousbakers.tripod.com/edge/

UPC: 5051561004865

EarthRod

Distinguished Member
Really thought Edge of Darkness was one of the best, very good political thriller.

Pleased to see it out on blu-ray, however it says on the cover taken from the original 16mm film.

Film? I had it on VHS tape as six episodes - a mini series.

mikemag

Distinguished Member
I think they probably mean that the original series was filmed with 16mm cameras and they’ve gone back to those original negatives to remaster for the discs.

Garrett

Great theme as well, I think I still have it on a 45.

mikemag

Distinguished Member
Fantastic series and a day one purchase for me.

IGC

That Mel Gibson film looks a pretty good thriller but the problem is it's A Mel Gibson Film. It's Mel Gibson playing Mel Gibson. That's why I seen it in Poundland last week. I'm not sure how the production came about (same director of course) but I'm sure they didn't mean to copy the TV series (or did they? I've not seen any interviews) so maybe I can watch it one day especially since I loved Campbell's Bond films and I loved the Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy TV series and the remake film because it was a brilliant film in it's own universe with a great story and cast. No Mel Gibson though.

The original Edge of Darkness series is still under my skin 35 years later I don't think there's ever been anything like it in long-form thriller-wise on TV. Joe Don Baker's character would be in your worst nightmares.

Garrett

The original Edge of Darkness series is still under my skin 35 years later I don't think there's ever been anything like it in long-form thriller-wise on TV. Joe Don Baker's character would be in your worst nightmares.
Jedburgh was brilliant he would be a nightmare if on his wrong side but he was on the heros. His scenes were some of the big highlights of the series.
The american version flipped it being in america rather than the UK and Jedburgh now becomes British played by Ray Winstone.