1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Edge Enhancement is killing me. (SONY TVs)

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by zcaps57, Jul 23, 2002.

1. zcaps57

zcaps57

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, folks.

Does anyone know how to reduce/switch off edge enhancement on SONY direct-view TVs ?

I've DX100, and I just cannot stand this kind of EE anymore. (This goes to all SONY TVs, I believe.)

I've been to this web-site which deals with SONY KV line of TVs.
    http://www.kv32tweak.freeuk.com/

It looks like CTI-Level is the one to adjust in the service mode, but DX100 doesn't have such thing as CTI-Level.

Any comments, opinions would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks.

2. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Swap for a Loewe:)

3. Banjaxe

Banjaxe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    A lot of the visible edge enhancement in Sony TV's is down to VSM (Velocity Scan Modulation).

Although some of the models have an entry for VSM in the service menu it gets reset to a default value each time the TV is powered up (either from the mains switch or from standby).

On some models using the "Movie" mode preset disables VSM but you lose the ability to adjust brightness and contrast. A workaround for this is to use the service menu to set the "sub-brightness" and "sub-contrast".

It also depends whether your model is 50Hz or 100Hz. On the 100Hz models everything has to be sampled and then goes through the same basic processing chain. On some of the 50Hz models (mine is a KD32DX40) using the RGB input bypasses the VSM.

I use the RGB input for my DVD player and Sky+ and used Video Essentials to set the brightness/contrast/sharpness to optimize DVD playback.

Ronnie

4. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can't say I've noticed this on my LS60, but then it's a plain 100Hz model (no extra digital processing) and I use RGB only. I did notice it on sets like the FX65 and FQ75 though and I put that down to the extraneous digital processing on these 100Hz babies which resulted in a picture that was too "harsh" for me. Perhaps the situation would improve if you turned off some/all of the digital processing and the DNR?

I believe VSM is present on most brands of TV these days anyway though and is not something which is exclusive to Sony?

Incidentally, I can adjust contrast in "Movie" mode, but I don't like the look of it as contrast is the ONLY thing you are allowed to adjust in this mode. So I prefer to use "Personal" mode and fiddle with contrast, brightness, colour etc myself.

5. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    My TV suffers from SVM on PAL, Composite, and SVid, it is fine on RGB which covers all TV and DVD.

I will have to cut the wire!

6. zcaps57

zcaps57

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the input, folks. :)

I've bought the unit only for video gaming. - I don't even watch TV on this.

Apparently, my consoles are connected via RGB, and using "personal video setting" causes the worst EE.
    Ruining my gaming experience. :(
    I'm not sure how PAL would look on this unit since all my consoles are NTSC.
    And I watch DVDs only on my front projector.

I've looked at service menu again to find something about VSM, had no luck.
    I might open up the unit and...
    :devil:

I've always been ****ed off with a lot of DVD titles which have EE, and now my TV generates them!! :rolleyes: