EDGE as pre-processor for Radiance

StooMonster

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Is it possible to set the DVDO EDGE for a single purpose for a single input?

Specifically, I would like to set an EDGE up with Sky HD so that it takes the 576p and 1080i over HDMI signals and does the following:
  • 576p uses PReP to deinterlace and then reinterlace using ABT VRS and then output to 576p -- no scaling, no colour processing, no sharpness, nothing else.
  • 1080i pass-through to 1080i -- no processing at all
This is obviously in the absence of my NEW PRODUCT request, and I would like to feed a Lumagen Radiance.

StooMonster

Is it possible to set the DVDO EDGE for a single purpose for a single input?

Specifically, I would like to set an EDGE up with Sky HD so that it takes the 576p and 1080i over HDMI signals and does the following:
  • 576p uses PReP to deinterlace and then reinterlace using ABT VRS and then output to 576p -- no scaling, no colour processing, no sharpness, nothing else.
  • 1080i pass-through to 1080i -- no processing at all
This is obviously in the absence of my NEW PRODUCT request, and I would like to feed a Lumagen Radiance.

StooMonster

Stoo

I use an Edge to help with the Thomson SkyHD box and then into a Radiance. 576i>576p appears unmolested as no scaling is taking place in the Edge. I don't know if the Edge first converts 1080i to 1080p to 1080i although it shouldn't scale.

You would need to change the global output resolution on the Edge each time you change source input res as it does not do this automatically. Output res has discreet codes so a macro is about as automated as you can make it today.

I usually only use the Edge with the Sky but I did compare PAL DVD performance and it didn't appear to deinterlace as well as the Radiance on some material. Complex scenes with fine detail and motion caused line twitter, shimmer etc. I had thought some of the artefacts I spotted with Sky had all been down to sky but maybe not.

AVI

Last edited:
You would need to change the global output resolution on the Edge each time you change source input res as it does not do this automatically. Output res has discreet codes so a macro is about as automated as you can make it today.
Thanks AVI.

That's too much like hard work for me, so I think I'll stick with DVDO VP50-Pro for now; and keep the Radiance in my office, where it's got some nice 576i over HDMI devices as sources and a KURO display. :)

StooMonster

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom