1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Edge 105 must buy status

Discussion in 'General Video Gaming Chat' started by tryingtimes, Nov 27, 2001.

1. tryingtimes

tryingtimes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +548
    It is in the shops today and ...Wow!
    The most number of hotly anticipated reviews ever
    The cover says it all.
    I don't want to spoil the fun so I won't say any more.

Suffice to say - anyone who knows edge well will have their eye brows raised for the first hour of flicking!

Enjoy
    Alex

2. bishman

bishman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    Got it today and I was also surprised, not what I was expecting. Very interesting and tempting me to bring in a brother for the new gamecube.

3. Ono

Ono

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    Edge have got caught up in the hyperbole surrounding the thing.

Would it have got the same mark if it was released on the PC? I doubt it.

4. tryingtimes

tryingtimes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +548
    Ono - have you played it?
    I too am a little reluctant to consider it among the top 4 games ever reviewed by Edge but then I couldn't quite see how Gran Turismo could get a 10 until I played it ...for months :)

If it takes eveything that Half life, Goldeneye and Perfect Dark have done, adds something new and has no flaws that harm it's gameplay then I guess I can see it being THAT good.

I've heard a few bad things said about it on other newsgroups, though which I don't ever remember hearing about Mario, Zelda and GT.

What surprised me most were the reviews of the supporting games from each console. Jak & Daxter, Pikmin and Amped (I always knew that Rez was going to be a blinder!)

BTW - Edge have reported on their newsgroup that the review score for the game on Page 90 should actually be 8. Which makes a lot more sense than the 6 printed!

5. Duncan

Duncan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My mate has an Xbox- and as Ono said it (Halo) wouldnt have got the same review if it was a PC FPS game- as that system has more than its fair share.

Dont get me wrong the game is good, maybe very good- but it only took us 5 hours to get through half of the game, which kinda kicks the Edge reviewers thoughts that the game AI is something special. The enemies are tougher than say in Soldier of Fortune but bots in UT and Quake III on hard levels are more impressive.

Oh and THAT controller didnt help!!!! FPS's are cak when you dont play with mouse and keyboard. The Xbox controller is not transparent enough- you are always concious of using it and if your not hitting the wrong button your having to search for the right one. Terrible, Terrible design- its almost as if Microsoft have tried too hard to make the pad unique from its rivals.

Even Nintendo have gone back to the original 2 pronged joypad design (even though the N64 pad is recognised as a classic piece of design) and evolved it to improve on the PS2 and N64 model. A shame Microsoft didnt imitate in this case. 3rd party manufacturers will have a field day!

One other thing Halo LOOKS like a PC game- which disappoints me, I know the architecture is very PC like but console gamers expect a departure from PC looking games- it lacks the flourish that Sega or Konami may have added to it.

If this game is a 10/10 game then god knows what some real classic games deserve!!!!!! Its an insult to games such a GT, Mario 64, the Zelda series, Metal Gear solid, Half Life - these are REAL classics and are insulted by Halo getting a perfect score- IMHO. I know its all down to the reviewers personal opinion but a front cover like Edge 105 on the basis of a single game does suggest Edge have been swept away as ono said- the reviewer even mentioning that Halo is the best of an average release list on Xbox.

6. Duncan

Duncan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    oops didnt realise GT got a 10. and i forgot Perfect Dark- the only thing Halo has on PD is the graphics.

Oh and ive had Pikmin a week now- and 7/10 is just about right, its a very novel twist on the RTS theme but is let down by being too short and easily completable with the bane of the RTS: chucking loads of units at a problem. But I reckon kids will love it, although any seasoned C&C/AoE fan will walk through it in a week or even less.

7. annefromuk

annefromuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    lol

Yep, I can remember playing Starcraft on the PC Lan against my work colleagues, we always spent about 2 hours building hundreds of units before we even thought about attacking each other.

Anne

8. Duncan

Duncan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ha Ha! I remember the first time I hit the unit limit on Age of Empires, I was like what the fudge!!!!! After C&C having to actually use some strategy in an RTS was painful!!!!

BTW if you like Star Wars and AoE then Galactic Battlegrounds is excellent.

9. PJONG

PJONG
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Found 105 interesting.

Re that review, I thought the review missed a very important aspect, namely control system. In my opinion console FPS's will always fall behind PC versions in terms of control, the exception being the Dreamcast for its keyboard/mouse support.

Will the Xbox have the same support? If it does then fine, you'll need them, if not then the review completely ignored the fact the a gamepad is a poor interface for the genre. Some games deal with it better than others but to omit it from a 10/10 review is rather puzzling, irresponsible even.

Admittedly I have not been following the impending console battle between GC, Xbox and PS2 and am not up to speed on what's got what but as a stand-alone review I found it left a lot to be desired. Time will tell if the game deserves that perfect score.

10. tryingtimes

tryingtimes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +548
    Agree with all of the above.

The news from the EDGE team on the EDGE forums is that the control system is the best that a console fps has managed.

Re keyboard and mouse - Microsoft have been reluctant to announce one because they are already tryng to fight the argument that it is a pc-in-a-box.

Mulltiplayer is where the control defficiencies usually show as in singleplayer the game has been paced with the pad in mind.

11. Ono

Ono

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    The Pc errr... I mean X-Box has USB ports.

Keyboard and mouse are a certainty.