Eco House Build with dedicated atmos home cinema room

Kitch

Established Member
Reaction score
So.... been along time since i posted on here!
I have been trawling the forum for the past few weeks to try and get back up to speed with all things 'home cinema'.
We have started our self build and this thread will no doubt be spread over the course of the next 8 months.
It will be a slow burner intially as we are only just finishing the main raft.
The house will be self sustainable with regard to energy usage. We have 14KW of PV panels going on the roof, under floor heating running off a ground source heat pump, rain water harvesting tank and a heat recovery system and super insulated.
The house is half under ground with the bedrooms/home cinema at basement level and the kitchen/lounge etc... at ground level.
We have planned to have full home automation using the Loxone system for control of lights, heating, blinds, alarm, music and video distribution (HD matrix).
In the home cinema i plan on having a Dolby Atmos/DTS X system with maybe 4k pj, the speakers will be M&K in wall/ceiling.

Pics...

Attachments

• IMG_9871.jpg
    IMG_9871.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 1,085
  • IMG_9914.jpg
    IMG_9914.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 1,014
  • elevation.jpg
    elevation.jpg
    310.1 KB · Views: 1,017
  • plans.jpg
    plans.jpg
    257.2 KB · Views: 1,031
  • elevation1.jpg
    elevation1.jpg
    362.2 KB · Views: 991
Nice size house and cinema room :)

What are your plans for the cinema room - an At screen with speakers behind? 2.35 screen? How many rows of seats? :)

Gary

Wow! This would be a dream!

Plans look amazing good luck!

Looking for around 3m wide screen, not sure on ratio yet.
Most prob going for the M&K 150's for front with iw85 for rears and atmos duties.
This will all depend on what money i have left in the pot once we are water tight.

hi Mike

so its started then :clap:, good luck with the build and i can`t wait to get involved, your gonna end up with something really special

Allan :smashin:

Thanks Alan, looking forward to getting the roof on!

Plans look excellent. I have been in mine for 4 months now. Took nearly 3 years to build but it's been well worth it.

Good luck.

Any advice please feel free to ask

M

Progress is slow! raft should be complete by this weekend, things will speed up as its just blockwork/concrete etc....then block and beam for 1st floor, then more breeze block.
Ive learned a new trade.... digger driving! dug out the driveway and filled/levelled with hardcore in preparation.

Last edited:
Steel complete! Concrete for slab being pored Monday morning...
ImageUploadedByAVForums1443207539.165694.jpg

We were lucky enough to be able to do a new build a couple of years ago and it's an awesome experience.

Our cinema room is a similar area though I didn't quite nail it first time around. Hopefully you're smarter than I. Do you know which wall your screen is going on as I guess you've two options. Check the throw ratios of any likely projectors. Whilst models will change before you're ready I found my likely candidates to be in the same ballpark and I'd prefer a length greater than 5m than less. I'd also go for a scope or CIA screen with a width greater than 3m. I finished up building my own 4 way masking electric screen which is pretty cool even if I say so myself.

I've gone with speakers behind an AT screen as Gary suggests and it's awesome having things tucked away so I'd definitely recommend this. You need some depth for this so ideally plan now so you can allow for it when plastering.

Then wire for any possible speaker locations including sub positions at first fix stage.

Good luck.

Dave

Another thought, if you haven't do work out what type of seating and where it's going. Depending on where your screen goes you might want to move a door. Again I got this wrong.

Thanks for the advice, still not decided on a definite location for the door!

This is going to be some thread, good luck mate.

Makes sense to me. So I'd think about seating, where the side surrounds go and door positions.

Just on the home automation did you consider knx ? I liked the fact it's not tied to one manufacturer and is open, ie you can get involved with the programming yourself if you're that way inclined. I'm not sure how common Luxone is the UK.

Really liking the loxone stuff, seems to have everything we need for a good price.

ImageUploadedByAVForums1443471527.083438.jpg
ImageUploadedByAVForums1443471537.631605.jpg

Concrete pored today.
Onwards and upwards!

Update on progress....

ImageUploadedByAVForums1443647026.932434.jpg

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom