echo plus hub ?

Discussion in 'Smart Home, Climate Control & Security Forum' started by stegalv, Dec 15, 2017.

Tags:
  1. stegalv

stegalv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    have an echo and dot.and i wanted another to put in a different room,so have just purchased the echo plus to use the hub to run some basic stuff.
    i want to try light switches and maybe some sockets,but it's hard to find which devices the plus will control with the built in hub,i:e mihome lightwave etc.
    i know it uses zigbee,but the adverts for the devices usually don't mention if they use zigbee.
    also which light switches will fit in standard back boxes,most say 35mm, i keep seeing them advertised as direct replacements,but uk houses are lucky to have even 25mm backboxes,never seen a 35mm light switch backbox.
    and as for a neutral being there,hens teeth come to mind.
    seems to be false advertising to me.
    i don't want a dimmer just switch,luckily i put an extra wire which i can use for neutral.

2. Steve Hud

Steve Hud

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +481
    I use an Echo 2nd generation with Philips Hue. They do talk to each other reasonably well, but to get the colour right it’s better to use the Philips Hue app. Both Alexa and Siri will respond to requests such as ‘turn living room lights to orange’, or simply ‘make living room lights brighter’. Or more specific requests such as ‘set table lamp to 100%’. I’ve tried requesting all sorts of obscure colours by voice, and I haven’t stumped it yet. Request such as ‘make living room lights warmer’ or ‘cooler’ are easy to do.

Of course, you will need the Philips bridge to do all that. That comes with the starter kit. I hope that helps.

BTW. You will be aware there is no need to provide a neutral to switches in British homes.

3. stegalv

stegalv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    thanks steve.not really interested in controlling bulbs.i want to control the switch.
    the reason i bought the echo plus is so i don't need to use other hubs or bridges,but i read that the echo would control philips lamps without the bridge?
    no neutral in majority of uk homes light switches was my point,all the smart light switches need a neutral to work so are not direct replacements,only dimmers don't need the neutral.

4. stegalv

stegalv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    No one know which smart switches and sockets will work directly with echo plus hub,and light switches that don't need a back box deeper than 25mm?

5. WarHog

WarHog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +677
    The Philips Hue Starter Kit comes with a light switch which is dimmable, as well as the bridge and bulbs.

So maybe the dimmable switch will talk with Alexa to turn your lights on/off. As an added benefit your Echo Plus should then be able to control your bulbs if ever you wanted it to.

Theres also the LightwaveRF light switches and plug sockets that I think will work. These are just the switches, and use normal bulbs in the light fittings. No idea on the depth of the switch though, but maybe they come with a spacer to allow for shallow back boxes?

6. jomo

jomo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought a echo dot and it works perfectly with my sonoff ebay switches.
    Their inline switches so have to cut the flex to your lamp or what ever your going to connect.
    Watch this vid,
    SuperHouseTV #21: Six Sonoff Secrets: Storage,...

7. stegalv

stegalv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    thanks warhog,the starter kit comes with the bridge,but i want to use the echo plus hub instead.and have read the switches need 35mm boxes,thanks anyway.
    jomo the sonos look interesting,i need to use them for ceiling lights and use the light switch as well as mobile and echo.
    i would need to wire the sonos to the switch as shown in the video.but it won't fit in the backbox,so would have to figure a way to do it.
    looks like unless you are doing a refurb or new build,trying to get this smart system to work and finding deveces that are compatable with each other {as i am finding with this thread} is not as simple as they make out

8. WarHog

WarHog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +677
    The Philips light switch can be placed anywhere on your wall in addition to your normal light switch. It just fits on the wall and is battery powered. You can use it like a normal light switch. The hub in your echo plus should control your Philips light switch, or the Philips bulbs, or both.

Have a look at LightwaveRF Wi-fi light switches that can be controlled by Alexa. Fit a spacer if it’s too deep for your back box.

9. stegalv

stegalv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    I'll have a look at the light waves switches with s spacer.
    I would have to replace 6 GU10 and 4 es bulbs to use the Philips system,bit too expensive
    Thanks for the info

10. WarHog

WarHog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +677
    Yeh, for light fittings with multiple bulbs it’s cheaper to get a Wi-fi light switch. But for light fittings with single bulbs then maybe not.

11. stegalv

stegalv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    How is it cheaper for single bulbs,the Philips smart gu10 bulbs seem to be around £20 each, £120 just for the six gu10 and then another 4 es bulbs doesn't seem cheaper than a couple of switches.
    Or can they be bought a !ot cheaper?