Echo Dot with Bluetooth to AVR. Anyone got this set up?

Harkon321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’ve got a Gen1 echo dot set up via Bluetooth to my Denon 4400. I was hoping that it would answer audio requests using the built in speaker and then play Spotify through the AVR.

It’s just a bit flakey. Doesn’t trigger the AVR so I need to make sure it’s on. Even then sometimes I have to ask the dot to turn on Bluetooth on. Then once tonight it reverted back to the dots speaker.
Should I persevere or is something like a Sonos Connect a better idea?

I have gen 2 Dots on my 2400 and 3400, both on Bluetooth always work fine. Powers on AVR when I ask them to play xxxx, powers them off when I say Alexa Stop. Both are around 4m from my AVRs. Both AVRs are in cabinets. In fact they are that reliable the wife uses them every day.

I wonder if it’s due to the fact that it’s a Gen 1 Dot. So yours powers them on and off just by saying ‘Alexa, play Spotify’?

I just say ‘Alexa play (insert track name here)’ and she plays it on either Spotify or Amazon Music HD, after powering the AVR on. You have set your AVR as your preferred speaker in the Alexa App?

Didn’t know you could do that but it says incompatible. See picture.
2745FF8D-D690-4E40-A56C-A3E86677AF17.png

I wonder if it’s due to the fact that it’s a Gen 1 Dot. So yours powers them on and off just by saying ‘Alexa, play Spotify’?

Gen 1 Dot was never sold in the UK, where did you buy it?

Checked and it’s Gen2 sorry.

Set up is the same as far as I can see @mushii

4DCD1A81-E21B-4037-AA88-8979F942FA88.png

I can turn amp on and off with Alexa. If the amp is off and I play Spotify then it just plays through the dot. I have to turn on the amp and switch the input. If I ask Alexa to turn on Bluetooth it connects but shouldn’t need do that each time.

Try re-scanning devices in your Alexa App as I can see it’s also saying that Bridget’s Fire TV Stick is also incompatible.

Tried rediscovered devices.
Tried power cycling both.
Tried deleting the Living Room group and readding everything again.

It'll control it if I ask if to turn on etc. It'll play through amp if I say bluetooth on, but it won't auto switch on the amp.

I've got a 2400 here that I'm not using yet so I'm going to hook that up to another dot and see whether that works

Would have thought so, but will check. Good shout.

HEOS enabled and latest firmware on the Denon.
If, in the vain attempt to resolve this, I say 'Alexa play Spotify' once more, the wife may divorce me.

It's driving me insane.

Think I’m getting somewhere. Have spoken to Spotify and Amazon, neither of which were much help.

Spotify will play fine on the dot.
Amazon Music will play and stream straight to the AVR.

I think Spotify is trying to run through HEOS and Spotify is apparently not supported by HEOS.
See here >>> Denon Support

So I guess I can get it working by:
1. Closing HEOS accounts and using the AVR as a dumb Bluetooth speaker.
2. Not using Spotify and switching to Amazon Music.
3. Starting Spotify on my phone every time and then choosing the built in Spotify Connect on the AVR.

No solution is ideal but I think that’s where I am.

Ok, as is always the case, now I know what I’m looking for it seems this is all over various forums. Surprised this isn’t more widely known as it’s a massive negative against Denon/Marantz and the HEOS Eco system when compared to a SONOS system. Absolute joke that something so simple doesn’t work and even more annoying that neither Spotify Support or Echo Support can’t explain this.

Going to run as Bluetooth only for now.

That is Crazy as the AVR has native Spotify support plus Spotify is built into the HEOS App. Let me have a play with Spotify later

Ye, options are use the dot and then Bluetooth as a basic bluetooth connection (But then no HEOS, Zone 2 etc) or use Spotify Connect but then you lose Alexa control. I’ve emailed Denon but it’s piss poor.

Last edited:
Spoke to Denon. They confirmed that Alexa will work with HEOS but not with Heos and Spotify. This is due to licensing and Amazon not agreeing to the terms. I guess it works in Amazon's favour to promote Amazon Music and not support Spotify which is a competing product.

Thanks for letting us know. its b00dy annoying but these are first world problems. I guess having both Spotify and Amazon Music HD I never take too much notice where the music is streaming from, but it does make sense now.

Yes agreed, annoying but first world and all that. I imagine it's deliberate on their part to be honest.

Thanks for all your help trying to get this sorted, is appreciated and helped me work the problem.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom