EC1 top right of display on screen TV or VCR problem

Drunkenbear

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hello

My mum is having a problem with an old panasonic 26" CRT (Model not known) linked to a Sony SLV-SE830/840

It was all set up fine and working ok, so that when she put in a video it switches to the video channel. The problem now is that it has EC1 in the top right hand corner of the TV and the screen is black.

Is this a TV or VCR problem and how can it be fixed?

Thanks for the help I know my mum would appreciate it

The "EC1" is generated internally and displayed by the Panasonic TV to tell you it's switched to its AV1 input...if you have no picture or sound check/replace the scart lead linking the VCR to the TV.

Thanks for the help

forgot to mention that its all going through a sony freeview box. so the VCR goes into the freeview VCR scart and the tv into the freeview tv scart with the signal going through...if that all makes sense so the VCR is not on AV1

AV1 = Freeview
AV2 = DVD

so where can she get the VCR channel from, thats the problem it's not automatically switching to it when she plays a video

any ideas?

Connect the scart leads as follows.
Freeview STB TV scart to TV AV1
Freeview STB VCR scart to VCR L1
DVD to TV AV2
From the Sony VTX-D800U...

"When the VCR is turned On or is in Playback (dependant on
the VCR), the receiver will automatically switch the signals
through to the TV. This will also be done when the receiver is in
the standby mode.
Note: To return to a programme from the receiver, press the l/1 button
on the remote control to switch off the receiver, then press the
l/1 button once more to resume normal operation."

What this means is if the TV is on AV1 and your watching Freeview...if you put a tape in the VCR and press play it will override the Freeview box and appear on the TVs AV1.

That is how it is set up already and was working fine but for some reason today when she puts in the tape it doesn't automatically switch over and it goes to the AV1 (EC1) and a blank screen

how does she get the video playback to show?

Panasonic used "EC" as an abbreviation for "Euroconnector" (a.k.a. Scart), however I believe it only appeared when an RGB source was connected to AV1. What happens if you remove the Freeview box and connect the VCR directly to AV1? I'm guessing that the Freeview box has locked up or has been inadvertantly been set to a different mode. Powering it off at the mains switch for a few minutes might also fix it.

Panasonic used "EC" as an abbreviation for "Euroconnector" (a.k.a. Scart), however I believe it only appeared when an RGB source was connected to AV1.

'EC' will be displayed when any of the scart sockets receives 12v on pin 8. Regardless of what the input signal is.

Powering it off at the mains switch for a few minutes might also fix it.

You don't work for 'The Tech Guys', do you? :rotfl:

Be all that as it may still doesn't tell me how to get the video playback to show on my mums tv

any more practical ideas please!

My mums panasonic only works when the tape deck is powered up from standby and the tape starts to play if this helps.

any more practical ideas please!

You haven't said if you've checked for loose scart leads?
Has any of the equipment been physically moved?
Unplug the VCR from the Freeview box and plug it directly into the scart socket on the TV and report back the results.

Ok no loose cables and nothing has been moved.

But they have plugged the VCR direct into the TV via a scart and it works fine, kicks in when they put a tape in and plays fine. This does mean that they are currently not using the Freeview box which I gave them so whats next?

2 scarts

so at present freeview in one, dvd in the other but a cheapo scart switch might work?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom