Ebuyer Relisys RP42AB30 42" Plasma with 10,000:1 Contrast !!?!?

Anim

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Anybody seen one of these?
http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/prod...2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=97519

* Number of Pixels: 852 x 480
* Contrast Ratio: 10000:1
* Brightness: 1500cd/m2
* Input Signal: RGB Analogue, DVI, DVD, Component, S-Video, Composite Video, SCART x 2, TV Tuner
* PC Input: RGB Analogue & DVI
* Composite Video: RCA Pin
* S-Video: Mini-Din 4 pin
* DVD Input: (Y,Pb, Pr) RCA 3-pin x 1
* SCART: 21 pin Euro Connector x 2
* Audio Input: (R/L) RCA 2 Pin (R/L) x 2

It's not worth seeing ...

I would pay £200 more and get a Panasonic PWD8 from AV-Sales!

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=232371

I'd get a quality product with a 2 year warranty, S-Video x 1 and Component x 1 input and stand. Adding a Component to VGA cable, a cheapish FreeView box for £30 and some speakers would get it up and running in no time. One can always add extra interfaces like a SCART later.

It really is not worth the risk buying ...

1. An unknown brand
2. From a retailer that may give you real headaches if you have a faulty product

Gussie :)

Gussie said:
It's not worth seeing ...
1. An unknown brand
2. From a retailer that may give you real headaches if you have a faulty product
Gussie :)

Relisys are not an unknown brand. But yeah. Ebuyer is great as long as nothing goes wrong, something goes wrong then you have a small nightmare on your hands as there isnt an easy way to contact them.

Here's there website if you want more info on the company themselves.
http://www.relisys.com/products/features.cfm?cat_id=4&productsize=10&prod_id=109

contrast spec means nothing panasonic will have better blacks and better shadow detail. there are a few 10000:1 plasma's. samsung or lg panel i bet

what do you mean contrast spec means nothing?

Contrast on projectors is everything so I assumed it would be the same for Plasma displays.

Anim

just for the record ive been into richer sounds in town to look at all the various plasmas and lcd tv`s also been into dixons too fair enough you cant tell what proper picture quality you get until you get all your own av equipment in to it.But in richer sounds they have about 6no 42" plasma displays pioneer hitachi lg relisys etc they had lord of the rings outputted to all in svideo the relisys the cheapest one picture quality on this vey dark film was not any different from the rest.Next i called into dixons who had normal tv on all there tv`s the best picture displaying was a £1200 matsui plasma :eek: i couldnt belive it far do`s the people in here are happy with all the pioneers hitachis lg`s etc but the cheaper units do come close to the mark best thing to do is keep looking on ebuyer see if any reviews come up etc . :smashin:

I wouldn't write anything off because of the name, you really must see it running though, and preferebly not in a store.
All plasmas have problems but you won't see how bad they are in a store, when they are in the store they will all look pretty much the same. I bet if you had a load of screens in a shop and only one that had been calibrated properly, that would be the last one that would grab your attention.

Anim said:
what do you mean contrast spec means nothing?

Contrast on projectors is everything so I assumed it would be the same for Plasma displays.

Anim

Contrast is pretty much everything, but specs mean nothing.
Would you rather have a screen that could only do grey but had a white level that could compete with xenons on a car, or a screen that can do proper blacks and a white level that is good as you need? The one that can give out bright whites may give a much higher contrast ratio.

A panasonic SD screen, which is reagrded as the best screen for deep blacks, only has a true contrast ratio of around 800:1 when set up properly. But if they put that in the specs everyone would think it couldn't do blacks at all, and no one would give it a second look.

The true contrast for the LG 10000:1 panel is round about 560 measured. Not bad, actually, but not nearly as good as the 4000:1 (actually 800:1) panasonic. Still blacker than any ALIS or Pioneer/NEC can do. Personally I don't think that's an issue, it's dealing with problems. Relysis are just a lower end market assembler, the sales dept is not the sharpest knife in the drawer, draw your own conclusions.

:eek: Well guys i bought the pansonic cos i beleived the contrast ratio was so high and have to admit that i am quite shocked that its true ratio is really only 800-1 :rolleyes: But hey it still looks "DAMN" good :smashin:

A contrast ratio of 3000:1, 4000:1 or 10000:1 sounds impressive, but is largely academic because a 70mm film picture has less than 1000:1 contrast ratio and human eye has contrast ratio far lower than that. 400:1 or so is more practical, unless you plan on watching in completely dark conditions. Believe your eyes not just the specifications.

Its all pretty numbers and mumbo jumbo.

Its the same with hifi, rms, watts per channel and the like, i still feel your eyes can decide better than reading meaningless specifications.

Totally agree, specs are useless, one of the guys on a car audio forum was asking if the Panny PW8 would actually be any good with only 480 lines of resolution compared with one of the £1000 HD ready screens, the best way I could describe it was like this...

What would you think sounds better, a Mark Levinson system with Genelec speakers giving only 60wpc or a goodmans system with aiwa speakers kicking out 300wpc?

Specs as you say mean nothing unless you look at every single one of them that make up the product. Edit: I should have added to that last sentence- and undertsand them.

How do you want to measure contrast ratio? We can do it with the panel set to maximum contrast, colour balance set to high, brightness to max perhaps and then measure the light output. Max output?. Switch the panel off, put the probe on the screen (in a pitch dark room!) and I bet you will get a 10,000:1 contrast ratio.

Enter the real world. I believe (but don't guarantee) that the human eye can do about 900:1 max.

Calibrate a screen to give max contrast and min brightness, colour temp to 6500K, then measure the contrast ratio with a checkerboard pattern. Compare the white square versus the black square - that is what matters when actually watching a movie- result..? Varies between about 200:1 to 700 (or so) :1.

Ignore advertising claims - they mean nothing.

i'd hope my eyes had more 'dynamic contrast' than 900:1 !

i think around ten million is more accurate

MAW said:
The true contrast for the LG 10000:1 panel is round about 560 measured. Not bad, actually, but not nearly as good as the 4000:1 (actually 800:1) panasonic. Still blacker than any ALIS or Pioneer/NEC can do. Personally I don't think that's an issue, it's dealing with problems. Relysis are just a lower end market assembler, the sales dept is not the sharpest knife in the drawer, draw your own conclusions.

LG is actually 938 (the new PX3-4) and the Panasonic is yes 810
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=418113

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom