Ebuyer.com - what are they like with faulty plasmas / returning goods?

DJT75

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi - didn't get any responses on what the fault might be so what's Ebuyer.com like to deal with for returns?

My 6 week old 37PE50 has started to make distorted noises from one of the bass speakers within the speaker panel.

It generally only happens when there's some sort of atmospheric bassy sounds during movies ("Touching the Void" last night) & occasionally during some music channels. I haven't got my bass up to much, it's on pretty much normal.

Just wanted to know if anyone else had experienced this & what the outcome/solution was?

Also - what are your experiences like returning large goods to Ebuyer.com or generally reporting faults?

Thanks

I had a faulty digital camcorder recently. Their returns were excellent. No problems at all. Replaced the camera in a couple of days following receipt.

James

Ebuyer have been consistently slated in the press for shocking customer services. I heard some time ago a lot of the industry rags had started to refused to publish there advertising because of the company’s bad name.

I’ve personally had some experience with them, but not with large goods.

Ebuyer are known for trying to fob you off with, comments like " oh that’s nothing to do with us, you need to go to the manufacturer for support" etc etc ..

Now they may have got better over the last few years but personally I wouldn't touch them with yours mate :D

Bad news from me too, I'm afriad.

Having been bitten by eBuyer in the past, I would never buy anything of any value from them.

It's a long story, but basically they delivered a DOA motherboard, which I had to pay to return. They claimed it worked perfectly, charged me for looking at it AND the postage to send it back. Guess what? STILL DOA!!

After weeks of wrangling via e-mail with them, I finally gave up and asked for my money back, to which they replied that it was more than 28 days old and they couldn't give me my money back. I threw the damn thing away and chalked it up to experience.

Still, you might be lucky.

That's the thing - the sound is fine 90% of the time & if you turn it up enough I can't hear the rattle....The screen is up on the wall, can I be arsed to get it down, package it up, argue over who's paying to return it, wait for weeks etc...................Might just be easier to wire it up into a better sound system & be done with it.

I had massive reservations about buying a plasma off the net, but the deal was so good & exactly what I wanted, I couldn't really refuse. I'm 95% happy with the product, it's just this tiny niggley thing....

i was going to buy a plasma from ebuyer..

when i told my brother he nearly fell of his chair - in his words "are you ******* mad???" - I guess his experience of the return policy wasn't that great either...

best thing to do seems its only 6 weeks old ring up the manafacturers explain the fault to them they might know what it is straight away.If it needs repair get a ref number or full name of who you have spoke to at the manafacturers include this in your email if it does need repair you have the right to reject the goods as this is within the first 6 months of owning the unit the only thing is the supllier ebuyer have the right to prove there is a fault with the set.To be honest id see how it goes with them first if things come iffy contact sheffield trading standards were ebuyer are based.I have just had a really bad experience of a faulty tv from powerhouse i only had for 2 weeks i found out that there is bad history after speaking to my local trading standards i decided to reject the goods luckily i got the tv on 12 months intrest free and hadnt paid anything off it but the crap i got from powerhouse was really really bad took 2 weeks to sort out they even got the tv repaired for me after i fully told them i didnt want it at all.Ebuyer have allways been fine with pc stuff ive sent back a little slow but no problems i have faith in them just orderd a plasma from them mind you if your ever buying anything better to get it on finance as if out goes wrong the finance company is as much to blame as retailer if things get sticky. good luck mate . :smashin:

DJ - get a decent sound system and you'll never notice it - I never use the tv for sound.

But if you are serious about returning it - did you pay on Credit Card? If so - u should have some cover there....

I bought a router off them and then cancelled it. They refunded me but sent it out. I had problems with the couriers returning it, I even took it to the depot. They stopped responding to my enotes then 3 months later they mailed me to say I could keep it!

Someone on another forum also bought a router then cancelled it too. They also refunded and sent it out to him!

Maybe theres a pattern here...

It's your choice, but I wouldn't buy from anyone that I couldn't speak to by phone if something went wrong. I used to use them, but when my wireless router went wrong it took weeks going backwards and forwards through enotes. I got a refund in the end, but never again, and this was for something that cost 80 quid..

I bought a 42" PV500 from my local Panny shop and probably paid a bit over the odds compared with a net retailer but guess what I had a problem and it is being dealt with properly and with the kind of consideration you might expect from a 2.4K purchase. What price is good backup and service worth ?....only you can decide.

you can contact ebuyer by phone there cstomer suport number is 08451461720 :smashin:

I paid on credit card deliberately so hopefully that might help & I'm afraid the people on the other end of that customer support number are about as useful as your average Currys employee....

Don't really want to install a sound system too, the whole point of choosing this model was to not have a bunch of cables & boxes all over the place. I'm not audio mad, 99% of use is normal Sky & seeing as I don't even use the freeview I might aswell of bought a plasma panel rather than TV & had a sound system.

I'm still happy I bought it with wallbracket for £999 when JL had still at £1,799 & Hi-Spek £1,499 but I wouldn't do it for anything more than that again (or probably anything over £200 actually)..

I think I'll check out the facts first with the manufacturer, credit card company etc first & then decide the plan of action with ebuyer. thanks all

WOW - I'm impressed with Panasonic & their registered engineers!
Sod ebuyer - no point in trying to get anything done through them...

Just called Panasonic, the girl on the other end was excellent & really knew what she was talking about, she gave me the number of my local engineer 'SIM TV' who just happens to be 3 miles down the road.

Under the warranty they will be coming out TOMORROW - 2 of them, to have a look/listen with secure packaging to take it away if they need to for a maximum of 1 week.

Not bad eh?!

Dont foret mate is your not 100% happy you can still reject the goods you can refuse the repair and get another tv or refund see how it goes anyway ive spoke to my mate who works at a national network of tv repair engineers and has not come across this fault so it looks like its not going to be a major problem. :smashin:

Well it's nice to hear a positive customer service story for a change :)

Keep us informed of the progress on this, won't you?

DJT75 said:
WOW - I'm impressed with Panasonic & their registered engineers!
Sod ebuyer - no point in trying to get anything done through them...

Just called Panasonic, the girl on the other end was excellent & really knew what she was talking about, she gave me the number of my local engineer 'SIM TV' who just happens to be 3 miles down the road.

Under the warranty they will be coming out TOMORROW - 2 of them, to have a look/listen with secure packaging to take it away if they need to for a maximum of 1 week.

Not bad eh?!

That is good to hear (given I've purchased a panny too) :clap:

mickymcd said:
Dont foret mate is your not 100% happy you can still reject the goods you can refuse the repair and get another tv or refund see how it goes anyway ive spoke to my mate who works at a national network of tv repair engineers and has not come across this fault so it looks like its not going to be a major problem. :smashin:

Will do, thanks mate - the guy on the phone said it's probably just a matter of opening it up, adjusting the bass speaker or replacing the bass speaker...

6 weeks without my plasma & Panasonic have finally supplied the part to the engineer. All is fixed & is being return to me on Saturday...Fingers Crossed,....

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom