1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ebuyer and Canon 20D

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by RobertP, Apr 28, 2005.

1. RobertP

RobertP
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As some of you may remember I got my 20D + kit lens from Ebuyer as a impulse buy when I saw one offered 'used' for £625 delivered :D

I have been in constant (where constant = 10 days waiting for each reply) enote contact with them since then trying to clarify the warranty situation.

Ebuyer sell Canadian imported Canon DSLRs which are not covered by Canon UK warranty - unless you have an 'international warranty card'... something the retailer could supply - not Canon.

This lack of warranty is what caused some people to reject the camera and return it for refund. It then has to be resold as used. Mine was virgin,unused and no packets opened.

Ebuyer failed to come up with an international warranty card but I have it confirmed by them that Ebuyer warranty the camera for one year themselves. Considering the bargain price and the fact there is nothing wrong with the camera and it has a good rep (as far as I know) for not failing, I am prepared to live with a warranty from Ebuyer.

Not sure I'd want to trust Ebuyer with a repair - I recon I could pay Canon should it ever need repair and still be well up on the deal.

Just so you know where you stand should you buy from Ebuyer....

2. Radiohead

Radiohead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +433
    A couple of members here have bought 20D's recently from eBay and have 3 year "Mack" warranties with them. Not sure what they are, but might they also cover yours?

3. Crocodile

Crocodile
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,479
    I spoke to Canon UK's service centre recently trying to ascertain how they identify where a camera was purchased. The guy I spoke to admitted that there wasn't any serial number tracking system in place for warranty. He also assured me that, wherever possible, Canon UK will honour warranty on a camera regardless of where it was bought based purely on proof of purchase.

4. RobertP

RobertP
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hopefully I'll never need to claim. Good to know.

I had phoned Canon myself and once they stopped hearing ebay for Ebuyer (seems they have a ebay department) they said no grey imports by uk retailers were covered. They did not say they could not tell the difference :)

5. HCking

HCking

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    HI

I have a "friend" who works for Canon Service who has confirmed that if the camera / lens was purchased NEW and you provide a receipt with serial number and purchase date on it they will 99.9% of the time service the it irrespective of where they were purchased, only if they think something is amiss will they decline to service it.

by no means is this to be taken as Canon polocy just a "real world" take on what actually happens

6. dejongj

dejongj
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,481
    That's where buying on a credit card is handy...My Nationwide classic card provides extended warranty...Barclaycard used to but don't think they do it anymore...

I'm gutted seeing all these people getting value-for-money deals on the 20D...Bought my D70 to quick...Not that I dislike my D70, on the contrary, I just got sensible in the end as I am a first time DSLR user and smallest price difference I was able to find was about £600 which I just couldn't justify...And now I am rambling....

7. paulc1

paulc1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    I think the main sticking point on where the camera was purchased, has more to do with the cashback offer than the warranty(300d & D70), because I have read that some imports do not qualify for the cashback offer, However, as a consumer, you have rights, and if you bought a new camera, then you should have rights as a consumer to a manufacturers warranty.

8. Oakey

Oakey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    If you're that worried I'm sure you could Ebay the 20D and probably make a profit (getting close to retail price knowing Ebay). Then use that money to buy a proper UK 20D.

9. RobertP

RobertP
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm not worried at all. Just wanted to know where I stand. Sell the 20D? that would be like parting with an old friend now :D

I've already blown much more than the saving I made on lenses and I don't have all I want yet. (somehow I doubt I ever will have all I want :rolleyes: - maybe more like not all I think I need yet)

10. Oakey

Oakey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    You should take a trip to New York and buy all your lenses from B+H :p

The savings on the lenses alone will cover the cost of the expenses getting there and you get to take some cool photos at the same time. :D

Whilst I was there I bought;

17-40L + Canon filter + 7yr Intl Mack warranty
    28-135IS USM + filter + 7yr Intl Mack warranty
    50mm f1.8
    Timer Remote
    2Gb 80x Lexar CF
    USB 2.0 Card reader
    Kata Backpack

Cost was about $1500. Now I'm wishing I'd bought a 100-400L whilst I was there amongt other things.

11. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The savings nobody could argue with, but at the moment i'm having an issue with my 50 1.4 and jessops will change it or refund no questions asked and that's what i'm going to get them to do. They also replaced two damaged S1's that i'm sorry to say was our fault and i'd have a hard time getting BH to do that or canon for that matter

Lots of issues with bad copies of lenses it's there if anybody wants to look in to it and the advice is pretty much across the board that if you're spending lots of money its better to have a human face to deal with and the treatment i have had from jessops has taught me that i have to say

Sure has hell alls that canon would offer me was a fix on my two s1's or my 50mm and that's not good enough for me...

If i wanted to take my 16-35 back tomorrow i could, if i had an issue with it i'd have it replaced sharpish. A warrenty is not going to get you anything other then a repair or calibration that's not good enough for me

But it's a personal choice and one i'd make every time having delt with canons repair service