1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

EBU paper again

Discussion in 'TVs' started by joys_R_us, Oct 29, 2004.

1. joys_R_us

joys_R_us

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Here is a new EBU paper on HDTV introduction in Europe. Although the content seems to be quite new (e.g. they are referring to HDTV plans of Premiere) they still offer a stepped introduction starting with MPEG2.
    What a nonsense !

Otherwise it is interesting stuff to read though not many new ideas.

Attached Files:

2. Rimmer

Rimmer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the post and the attachment.

The EBU isn't recommending MPEG-2, but as MPEG-4/VC-1 chipsets won't be ready until the end of next year any service that launches in 2005 will have to use MPEG-2. Some providers may use MPEG-2 even when the chipsets are available, as MPEG-2 will doubtless be cheaper for the foreseeable future.

Still no announcements about which HD format the private broadcasters intend to use. The EBU has restated its preference for 720p, but there is a lot of industry pressure for 1080i.

3. joys_R_us

joys_R_us

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The decoder and encoder chips will be ready untill summer. And Premiere in Germany is firmly decided to start with MPEG4. They say, if they can't make the start date of Nov. 2005 with MPEG4 they will wait until everything is ready instead of falling back on MPEG2.

Re. 720p etc.: Wished the European broadcasters had a firm view and could agree on one standard. But this is totally unrealistic. So I guess we will see a bit of everything (720p, 1080i, 1080p and their 50Hz and 60 Hz variants) and this will make the equipment unnecessarily expensive.

Nobody seems to care (while the European Parliament is fully employed with its internal affairs...) :thumbsdow