1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ebox² - opinions

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by smallangryboy, Sep 20, 2005.

1. smallangryboy

smallangryboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    I'm looking at getting a HCPC early next year, and I'm digging around for an out of box solution. It will replace my DVD, and usurp a digi-freeview box/PVR, and music server. A couple of contenders, though not enough reviews on them to make a solid decision on. There are some recent mixed reviews for the Evesham ebox², but none I can see for the other two. Wondered if any of you guys had opinions experience with the following ? Silent running a must !

Evesham ebox²

Kustom HFX media PC

High Grade Digital Media Station

2. BryanKitts

BryanKitts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    If you mean the DMS II (which is what you've linked to) rather than the (original, cheaper) DMS then there are plenty of reviews: just click on the "awards and reviews" page of the Higrade web page for a (possibly not impartial) list of links. Or there's the review on Trusted Reviews. I haven't seen any complaints about noise for this PC (at least with the right settings enabled), although it's not completely passively cooled like the Kustom one. You may want to wade through the AVForums thread before parting with any money...

The Elonex Artisan, not on your list, is the traditional adversary for the DMS II. Again, I haven't seen noise flagged as a problem (PC Pro measured it as below ambient room noise level), but some people have had reliability issues (again, see the AVForums thread on it). It does have the advantage over the DMS II of coming in a dual digital tuner version, and is easier to upgrade (the DMS II has a custom back-plate).

If you're looking at more expensive, passively-cooled PCs like the Kustom one, you might want to look at Hush too. Dunno about reviews (Trusted Reviews has an old one).

Too much choice...

3. smallangryboy

smallangryboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    Bryan thansk for the reply, I did find some reviews after posting, typical ! Must say I'm leaning towards the DMS II at this point, as it seems to fit my criteria of reliability, low noise and living room looks.

4. JonMace

JonMace

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +207
    I have been extreamly happy with my DMSII, and considering I'm an ex Tivo user that says a lot

5. ADENCOOL

ADENCOOL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Why not look at http://www.tranquilpc.co.uk

the tranquil pc uses a laptop pentium m processor, the cpu is cooled via heatsink only, the power supply is a external laptop supply - so no fan (and at 120w very cheap to run)

in fact the only noise should come form the hard disk