1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ebay

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by baldbird, Oct 17, 2003.

1. baldbird

baldbird

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is pretty insignificant but something that I've got to get out off my chest.

I've bought one or 2 dvd's on ebay and it's been fine but some of the stuff i see on there amazes me...

People sell copies on either vcd or dvd and people buy them - why?? and quite alot of dvd's actually go for more than you can buy them for if you look at retail or etailers.

Are people stupid or what ????

Don't know if anyone else finds this but it just amazes me how people pay these prices - maybe they just get caught up in the auction thing. but if you go into say the virgin sale and look at ebay, people have obviously been in seen what's there and offered it on ebay...

What's the legal situation with all the copies people sell? I wouldn't want to buy any but I'm wondering how they get away with it...

Rant over - thanks for listening;)

2. graham.myers

graham.myers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +932
    every time I say a flaky disk I report it throught the safe harbour mechanism. trouble is I only tend to use going going gone section so there is only an hour or so left so its difficult to stop the trade within those timescales.

no doubt the seller contacts outside flea-bay on completes the sale, and as he's not paying flea-bay fees he makes even more money.

what really amazes me is that people by second hand genuine discs for considerably more than they can from e-tailers sealed and delivered. I have seen ebaying of items from play's sales going for several pounds above what play sold them for.

3. prevailrob

prevailrob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Without calling anyone *stupid*, yes, most punters on ebay are a bit gullable or at least not very knowledgeable about where to purchase cheap discs.

Perfect example are the people that shell out £50+ for Star Wars trilogy dvds (rips from laserdiscs in covered Amarys).

I once saw 3 Knightrider dvds going for £120!!

I have sold a few on there myself and after the biddings are up they have gone for more than you can buy them for on the likes or play,dvdsoon or whatever.

I have never seen anything on ebay (dvd wise) that I couldnt get cheaper anywhere else, and sealed for that matter.

Rob

4. apul

apul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    ahh, good old ebay,

i have had some bargains from there, got x-files season 1 R2 for £30 a few months ago.

but now all the R2 and R2/4 boxset go upto £50 which is expensive as they can be had for £40 on CD-wow and abit less on some Australian sites!

but keep your eye open and u will find a bargain eventually, hey i got a SkySat 2 PCI card for £20 :clap:

5. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    And what about the P&P for DVDs from within the UK.
    This can vary from 0.75p to a right rip off £3.50 :eek: and that's not including registered delivery.

I used to e-mail some bidders notifying them that they can get it cheaper (new) elsewhere, but now don't bother, it's their own fault.

6. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Absolutely true...the rule with ebay and similar has always been along the lines of "Buyer beware"....great bargains to be had sometimes,but all that glitters is not gold.

7. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +941
    I think that you just have to be careful, a lot of people are not as well informed as the people who use this site and i think that people get caught up on the competition of the auction. I have got some dvd bargains from ebay and i have also made some good money from selling on ebay. I have even had people send me cash in the post just loose and non recorded :eek: . Lucky i am just sooo honest. My most recent bargain was buying R1 French Connection 1&2 dvd for £11.50 delivered, cheapest i had seen it for was £17.99.