ebay?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by CraigSmith, May 20, 2003.

1. CraigSmith

CraigSmith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Has anybody bought speakers off of ebay?

2. Gambit

Gambit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No, but I tried to sell some :D

3. ChrisNic

ChrisNic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +111
    You probably want to try the classifieds on this forum first as the speakers on ebay seem to go for quite a bit-well mine did anyway, exceeded all my expectations!:smashin:

4. Stellavision

Stellavision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    Just advertized a Mission 70ASE sub on Ebay.:smashin:

5. pnm

pnm
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just sold a pair of Castles on ebay after having no takers on the forum for £35 more. I've just put second pair on. It worked for me!!!

6. tullamore

tullamore

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Not quite speakers but bought Videologic DTS system off eBay for £150. Old style not Platinum. absolute nightmare. They were Grade1's being resold by a dealer. First set I couldn't get a test tone, second set no remote or cables, third set worst buzzing in history. Gave up, got my money back and went to Empire Direct and bought the Platinum videologic for £320. Having said that just bought cables off eBay and they are spot on. One thing about a reseller is you can get dosh back. EBay works on 'buyer beware' system. Feedback best indication of sellers integrity. You pays your money...etc

7. monotone

monotone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought my full speakers set up through eBay... B&W Matrix 805, HTM & 803 S2 - in walnut... nice!

Picked up the floorstanding 803 S2 from a local 'ebay-er', and had the 805s (after much hunting down for a matching pair) shipped from UK.

All the speakers look pretty much new without any scratches or dents etc !

8. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think people miss-understand that ebay is purely a site to link buyers and sellers. You hear people say 'ebay are selling them' but all ebay sell is space on their site. When you buy from ebay, you are buying from an individual that you have never met. Check their feedback and maybe email them to see how friendly they are.

I have bought a few things and sold a lot on ebay and found it a pleasurable experience. I had one problem with a hard drive that was faulty and the guy refused to refund but there you go, he's not registered anymore. Be aware though, that stuff can make all the money on there which is why it's a good place to sell. Especially if you put up a good ad with a nice picture. I have sold s/h amps for more than retail!

I also bought my Ruark Preludes off there for £350 and they are mint, an absolute steal.

So, be aware that you are sealing with individuals and use appropriate caution and you should be OK, although be prepared for the thing you want to make silly money.

9. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    well here's a good example .

Careful haggling with my dealer got my 2nd pair of kef Q1s for £210, but this guy just paid £180 for 2nd hand :eek:

I was going to bid for these when they were about £105 & thought £140 inc postage would be ok. I've not seen anything I want go for less than stupid money on ebay, so I'd recommend it to sell (only after advertising here of course), but I wouldn't expect to buy from there.

10. Bassbin

Bassbin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Ebay's a real mixed bag as a general rule I only buy from there if the sellers got a reasonable feedback record and then I nearly always collect (especially for electronics). Always ask the seller a couple of questions to confirm the condition etc as well as asking if it's OK to collect. You'll usually get an honest reply and can reject the goods if the item doesn't live up to the answers they've given.

My most recent purchases were a Paradigm CC350 centre speaker (few minor marks) for £50 and a pair of Paradigm Monitor 5 floorstanders for £42 (mint). All sound great and the retail cost when new would have been £500.

Happy bidding.

11. pkspohn

pkspohn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello. I bought a pair of Paradigm Monitor 7v3 on ebay. The were delivered in excellent condition and were exactly as advertised. The speakers were just a few months old, in perfect broken in condition, and about 55% of the price of new. I also bought a pair of Paradigm Monitor 11v3s on Audigon. Same great experience. Both sellers had 100% feedback.

12. A.C.E

A.C.E

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    bought my alpha9P of ebay, as well as a mk1 golf gti. also lots of music dvd's and bit and bobs for my other car. not had a problem *touch wood* and had a few bargains.
    also sold a bit on there too. again, no probs.:)

my advice is this if you are buying:-
    ask the seller ALL the questions you need answers too.
    ask for detailed pics
    make sure you are in regular contact
    if a veteran seller, check feedback

#if selling
    be honest
    keep up freindly comms with the buyers

imo, a great place to sell/buy, although you do seem to get the dreamers