Ebay woe again

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by steve0, Aug 22, 2006.

1. steve0

steve0
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    I sold my psp on ebay and posted it Standard delivery with proof of posting and insurance of £130 two weeks ago. The person who has purchased it says he hasnt received it, also he has 0 feedback.

Does anyone know what i do now? is it going to be a long winded process with endless forms and telephone calls or do you think he is lying and has recieved the PSP as there are that many scams on ebay at he minute. Any advise would be great. Thanks

2. Dusteh

Dusteh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    As it wasn't recorded delivery, you can't check he got it or not. Your only option is to claim on the insurance, and report your suspicions to eBay about him.

Bloody 0-rated people, the amount of crap they cause the rest of us. Now you see why so many people won't accept bids from new users without contact beforehand. Feel for you. :(

3. Dave

Dave
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,401
    If you have proof of posting then it's up to royal mail to sort it out with the recipient (buyer), not you.:thumbsup:

So tell them to contact royal mail.:smashin:

4. Jenn

Jenn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,257
    I think only the sender can claim on the RM insurance. Contact them and tell them your package hasn't been received and file a claim.

As regards to Ebay and/or Paypal, the guy can argue that proof of postage isn't proof of delivery (who's to say a less than honest mail worker didn't keep it for himself). This happened to me and Paypal agreed that without proof of delivery the seller should reimburse me (which he didn't but that's a different matter)

5. RMCF

RMCF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +784
    I have been an eBay user for approx 5 or 6 years and things used to be good on it.

However, despite having no problems myself, I am starting to hear too many scare stories about it. If this sort of stuff continues then it might as well shut up shop as people will soon tire of using it.

6. Dave

Dave
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,401
    Sadly the vast majority of fraud on the internet, around 80% i believe is from auction sites.

The golden rule is if you can't afford to lose it, don't do it. Very sad indeed but I've been stung on fleabay, only 25 quid but that was my 25 quid.:mad:

7. Bl4ckGryph0n

Bl4ckGryph0n
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14,924
    Why think the worst about the buyer! Just think how he must feel about you! That's exactly why there is postal insurance, and you should make a claim on that...I wouldn't be surprised if it has gone missing in the post, either way wouldn't be your problem would it....

Personally I wouldn't send anything with proof of postage, I mean you fill out the form yourself so how could you possible proof anything...Talking about which how did you get the insurance raised? Wouldn't it have been cheaper and got more insurance to do a special delivery....

Either way, I would keep the buyers money until the claim has been investigated by Royal Mail, and only once you've got your money back pay back the money the buyer gave you.....Just in-case....

8. Astraeus

Astraeus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +203
    If you weren't scared of fraud on eBay, be scared of the tax man. They (HRMC) have just spent £150,000 on a computer which scans eBay and similar auction sites for sellers registered in the UK who are selling high volumes of goods without having declared it on their income tax forms. We could also, if they have their way, soon be paying VAT on non-VAT-registered goods. Yippy-kay-ey.

9. Bl4ckGryph0n

Bl4ckGryph0n
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14,924
    Have you got a link to that information?

10. paulyoung666

paulyoung666
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,841

i aint got a link but i have heard the same about the i.r. going after power sellers , and to me that is a :thumbsup: , why should i pay more tax for people to get around it , let the flame wars begin :cool:

11. Bl4ckGryph0n

Bl4ckGryph0n
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14,924
    Oh don't get me wrong, I am all for it as there is lots of 'grey' trade happening on which taxes should be payed, and income should be declared against benefits in another example....I'm just curious about this £150k computer....

12. DVD-Man

DVD-Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,932
    Heard the same as Dejongj, was going to help a friend sell off some bulk car parts but he said you need a business account for this very reason, after you pass £3 or £4K your account gets flagged up.

Had bother with sending stuff before, won a DVD which I didn't like so sold on Ebay, buyer said he never recieved it, I refunded in full to preserve my 100% feedback and have used recorded del ever since.

Liam

13. Biskitboy

Biskitboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am not a trader but I have used eBay for over 4 years and have 100% positive feedback of around 250, split about 50/50 between sales and purchases.

I have never had any problems whatsoever but then I do make it a policy to carefully check the feedback of anyone with less than 100% feedback to see exacly why its less than perfect (there are often valid reasons) and also I NEVER EVER EVER send items other than by Recorded Delivery, for small low value items, or Special Delivery for higher value and I stipulate this in my sales so the buyer is fully aware beforehand. Also, depending on value, I will often pay extra to a seller for Recorded or Special Delivery. It's surprising how little the difference can be sometimes.

I'm not saying that any of the posters to this thread fall in the category but all too often Joe Public can be incredibly dumb, witness the numbers still falling for 419 and Phishing scams, and a serious dose of Caveat Emptor should be everybody's first line of defence.

I once was thinking of buying a pair of very expensive Bose noise cancelling headphones and happened upon a pair in the US. I noticed that the seller was new and yet had a single feedback of 1 negative and when I looked at it it was for the self same pair of headphones which some poor sap had paid $250 dollars for but never received and here they were for sale again just days later!

Despite the klaxons, sirens and flashing red lights there were several bids and they sold again for about the same sum. Needless to say the same scene played out, except this time the seller suddenly became "No longer registered" and the buyer moaned that he'd been done. Can anybody really have any sympathy for someone so stupid?

14. steve0

steve0
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    I have proof of posting, so i will put a claim in. Do i have to go to the post office where it was posted to file a claim? Thanks everyone for all the help so far

15. p203557

p203557

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    With high value items I ALWAYS deal in person, I've probably lost out on a few quid by having collection only rather than nationwide delivery but at least I'm yet to lose out and I always take my special pen to check bank notes are genuine when selling!! Sad that you have to be so careful.

16. Bl4ckGryph0n

Bl4ckGryph0n
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14,924
    Not attacking your reasoning, but maybe I can learn something that I am missing...How exactly can you loose out when you use special delivery etc?

17. Astraeus

Astraeus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +203
    The only link I can find on the internet is http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4274683.stm. I had read about it as a 'brief' in one of the local papers a couple of days ago - I assume it will have been binned but I'll give a quick look tomorrow to see if I can pick it up. All they said was that the computer cost that much, they said nothing more. I assume that, by £150,000 computer, they meant £150,000 programme using the computer bot - the price including labour etc.

18. Bl4ckGryph0n

Bl4ckGryph0n
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14,924
    That's what I assumed as well :D and then thought that is cheap, oops value for money :) Unlike a government department, especially one that used to use EDS and now CapGemini for their ICT provisioning....

19. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
  20. RBZ5416

RBZ5416
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,227
    You can file a claim online but IIRC, you have to print a form from the web site & post it with the Proof of Posting. Make sure you take a copy of that in case that gets lost as well!

21. Mrs AutomanUK

Mrs AutomanUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    I ordered some CDs way back in February off an ebay shop and they never arrived. I contacted the seller and they told me to claim off the royal mail. Considering I was the one out of pocket, this made sense, so they sent me the proof of postage and I had the email confirming the amount paid for the item, and I downloaded the claim form off the post office website. I sent it all off having waited a reasonable amount of time for the item to be delivered, and I was given compensation for the price of the item ( but they don't refund the cost of P&P ). About 3 months later the CD's arrived. The compensation was justified though because I had to purchase some other ones to replace the ones I thought were gone for good.

My advice is this.... contact the buyer and ask them to wait at least 14 - 21 days for the royal mail to sort themselves out. If the item has not arrived by then, say that you can provide proof of postage and will send that to him. (Make a copy for yourself). Refer him to the disclaimer which is default on every listing unless you remove or change it, which basically says that once it leaves your possession you are no longer liable for it. You have proof that the loss is not down to you and that you will do all you can to assist in helping them reclaim the loss. Provide a link to the Royal Mail website Claim form download, and the proof of postage details.

I would not go down the path of claiming for the loss yourself. He is quite capable of doing it himself. You would be out of pocket in the mean time if you refunded him, and whatever P&P you got, you would not get back.

Hope this helps

22. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,531
    Thats old news, and there's been nothing more said about it since.

23. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +850
    It was my impression that you are covered up to a maximum of £30 when getting a proof of posting. If the PSP is worth about ~£100 someone will be out of pocket.

24. WibXL

WibXL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +379
    Why should it be up to the buyer to put in the claim? If I order something from an online store and it doesn't arrive I don't expect say Amazon to turn around and say that it's up to me to file a claim for it, I expect either a refund or a replacement to be sent and don't see why Ebay should be any different.

This actually happened to me when I bought a CD off of Ebay and the seller said that I had to claim myself which I refused to do as in my opinion until I have the item in my hands it's the sellers responsibility to make sure it gets to me. Don't know if he ever claimed but he did send me a replacement.