Ebay: Winning bidder won't pay up

Foebane72

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I recently sold this item via Auction on Ebay:
Amazon Kindle Touch 7th Generation 4Gb Wi-Fi, Black

However, I sent the payment details to the winner and as of now, almost 6 days later, he still hasn't even responded! What the heck is with that?

Look at the guy's information: he is a brand new member and joined on the very same day that he bidded, and then once he's won it he just doesn't respond to me when I send the payment details, or even when I get hold of his normal email address.

Now, it's very likely possible that he's an Ebay Newbie and thus doesn't know what to do, but unless he's an old man who conked out after bidding or has just suddenly decided to go on holiday on the 8th, then sorry, but no choice but to open up an "unpaid item case".

I feel that this guy has been nothing but a timewaster with his lack of response despite being eager to bid in the first place, and so I will say in future sales "No timewasters please". I doubt I'll even get my money back in time now.

And what exactly is a "Final Value Fee Credit"? Does that mean I'll get the money I'm due?

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
It means you get back any sellers fees you paid.

I try to sell things on here in the classifieds section, but if I have to go through eBay then stipulate in the listing that people have to have a feedback greater than 5 (or whatever) before they bid.

It means you get back any sellers fees you paid.

Yes, but to be absolutely clear, not your listing fees. They keep those but let you relist for free.

You could also try the second highest but that option might be too late. Also when I've been offered those I've always had the niggle that my losing price had been pushed up by the winner who backed out - had the winner not bid at all my winning bid might have been lower. So unless I desperately want the item I usually decline second chance offers.

Cheers,

Nigel

Ebay, says it all, sorry about your faff around but that's nothing new on there.

Re-list/offer second bidder and move on.

I've just offered a Second Chance (as it's known) to someone who bid who has feedback points, so he'll know what to do.

If the original bidder gets in touch with me then I'll just say he lost out, and there'd be no bad points on his account neither.

I agree with Nigel, and tend to get the feeling that the seller has been shill bidding when I get a second chance offer and very rarely take one up.
I also think after 7 days your second bidder may have purchased elsewhere

I try to sell things on here in the classifieds section

I prefer the more 'businesslike' approach of ebay, TBH.
Whilst dealing with some members on here is a pleasure, I'd had experience of some that pushed the fact you can get into a dialogue to a daft degree.
If it were ebay, their 'complaints' would have been ignored and it would have been down to a simple matter of who did what.

I've sold a ton on eBay recently and you do get those that don't pay. It's just par for the course.

Just open an unpaid item case, offer a second chance and then wait about 10 days for your final value fee credit.

It is annoying if you only had one bidder and they don't pay, but fortunately most of the stuff I've sold usually has a few bidders.

Most likely it's someone who doesn't understand eBay, puts in a ton of bids on random items and then goes for the ignore tactic when they realise they're committed to a purchase.

Putting 'no timewasters' on your auction won't make one iota of difference though :)

Most likely it's someone who doesn't understand eBay, puts in a ton of bids on random items and then goes for the ignore tactic when they realise they're committed to a purchase.

Ebay ban them though, don't they?
They'll soon learn then.
I'd love to hear they also ban the IP address from re-joining under a different username, but I suppose I'm way out on that one....?

I'm sure they don't care as they signed up to a site, fiddled around for a bit but ultimately lost interest before their bids even closed. Or put in a bunch of bids of ended up getting too many of said item.
I doubt eBay IP ban in instances like this. As far as they're concerned, innocent customers could get caught up and blocked. And that lowers their sales, and that's not what eBay want.

Recently sold my old iphone on ebay and it took 3 attempts. Sellers wanting me to send it to 'drop-box' addresses and addresses not connected to their accounts because they are working away. Don't know if I'm becoming to suspicious these days but it feels like there are too many scammers on ebay.

ebay is pathetic at the moment. I've sold my ps4 four times, all to non paying winners.

The 3rd time the winner messaged me after the auction saying "Sorry I cant pay, I'm skint" WHY BID THEN???? Thicko's.

So glad i don't use ebay even my paypal account is bricked.

I listed a £425 RC car, got a message offering me £400 cash on collection with a phone number, before I got the chance to reply somebody with 130 feedback hit the BIN

Then I get a message, can I pay in a couple of days, couple of days later, sorry changed my mind, ring the £400 offer and he's ordered one somewhere else.

I had a 75% off eBay fees for the £425 sale so this muppet has cost me £30 if I re list it

There seems to be a lot of "buy it/guarantee winning it with big bid" and deciding afterwards if they really want it going on at the moment.

Listing your items as buy it nows that require immediate payment solves all this crap.

Listing your items as buy it nows that require immediate payment solves all this crap.

or not:

I listed a £425 RC car {SNIP} somebody with 130 feedback hit the BIN
Then I get a message, can I pay in a couple of days, couple of days later, sorry changed my mind,

Not used ebay for sometime now, but just yesterday I listed a DSLR camera body and already I'm getting the zero feedbackers snooping about offering cash and "please contact my private email" stuff...
Just waiting for a Nigerian to be buying for his Pastor to come up...had lots of those years ago.

That solves nothing sadly. You can put whatever terms you like on the item but if the buyer doesn't want to pay that's it.

I'm determined to sell this Kindle, but then after that I think I'll give up on Ebay and close my account. It's just become too hassle and dominated by major businesses these days, and the last several items I've sold (BIN) haven't even had any feedback!

That solves nothing sadly. You can put whatever terms you like on the item but if the buyer doesn't want to pay that's it.
Yes but if payment isn't made through PP then and there the listing stays up.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom