ebay widescreen lcd tv/pc monitor...but how does it work with pc ?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by throwit, Mar 21, 2006.

1. throwit

throwit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    hello folks

got a projector that's a tad expensive to run, and i was considering this http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=9701251924&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT as an ever so slightly smaller display...can anyone tell me how something like this connects to a pc - it says vga and there is a usb port, but i was wondering how it would connect, and if anyone has a clue what its native res is - and what res it might support ?

i would ask the seller, but they don't seem too chatty (don't speak english ?)

thankyou ! :thumbsup:

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Surely it says its' native res is 1440x234? Which of course is nothing like "16:9". :confused:

Be that as it may, not sure what you're asking, since you note is has VGA that's how you'd connect a PC to it, would it not?

Have to say, off the top of my head I don't see what the USB port is for.

3. throwit

throwit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    don't buy this for your pc !

i got a reply to my email...

"hi

sorry. this item can not connect with computer.

passion-stream"

by the way, i don't know what a passion-stream is, but i like the sound of it

thanks for the reply KraGorn

as you will read above, the item description is misleading

instead i'm probably going with...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=9700845853

(i've been told it handles 1024x768)

...unless someone has a better suggestion ? :thumbsup:

there's also this...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=61398&item=5862228196

4. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Careful, while it may 'handle' 1024x768 it's natively 640x480 so that's the resolution you should really drive it at, especially if you want a readable Windows desktop but also even if you just want movie playback.

Note, the second one doesn't even seem to specify its' native resolution.

5. throwit

throwit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    the item description for the second one says range 640x480 to 1024x768, so perhaps the native is somewhere between the two ?...although like the other, it probably is only 640x480

6. avanzato

avanzato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    What do you want the screen for? The ones on eBay have pretty bad contrast ratios and the resolutions are low as well. Is it because they have TV tuners?

7. throwit

throwit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    hi Mat

yeah, they are a pretty poor crop, i was hoping to find a smallish, cheapsish to buy and run lcd screen, doesn't need speakers as i run audio through amplifier

what it's for is doing general work on my pc, so it needs vga or similar input, with i hope a minimum res of 800x600

but i also would like to watch the odd shop bought/home video on it as i have a few old gems still on chunky tapes

so basically around 8" screen 800x600 if poss, with vga and video in (phono type), and mains lead is all i need

normally, i use my projector for all this, but i've actually been suffering major withdrawal for the last nine days as the pj has been in for repair

i'm intending to do some major modding to the pj, which may take a while (see signature links - short version is i want to make my pj run with led lamp) so i just want small display to watch dvds etc on whilst it's in bits

8. avanzato

avanzato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    How about one of those stand alone boxes that turns a monitor into a TV, there's got to be some of them on eBay. Then get a cheap LCD, 15" ones start around £100, I think I saw that Aria was even doing a Widescreen one for under £100.

An 8" screen is really, really tiny especially if you've been using a Projector. :eek:

9. throwit

throwit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    i know, it's like 5% the size ! no it's not, it's more like 1% !

but i kinda like the contrast between the two - sort of imagine appreciating the pj all the more

i'm expecting the meddling with the pj to run into a couple of hundred, and was really hoping to get a small screen with those two inputs (no tuner required) for fifty quid, i bet if i was in china i could easily, but not so easy here

that is a good deal that you've mentioned though

10. throwit

throwit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    if i wanted to google around for this piece of kit...(800x600 min lcd with video input/vga input/no tuner/no speaker/mains operable/hopefully less than 50 quid)...can anyone tell me if there is a generic name for something like that ?

11. throwit

throwit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
  12. throwit

throwit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    well, i just pulled the trigger on the above ebay item from my last post, so now's the time for everyone to point out the better choices i could have made !...i went for black

just incase anyone's interested i'll probably post a sort of review of this 800x600 touch screen doodad in due course

here's a link to a demo video... http://avshoppe.com/AV/8-touch/8-touch.AVI

13. throwit

throwit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    well, the touch screen arrived not so very long ago (took a while to reach me, not as fast as stated in item desc, and took several chase up emails to get it on its way), and went back soon after arrival, basically i couldn't get the software to install without my pc throwing other programs out, pretty weird but there you go

the screen also had a slightly inconsistent light level, as though previously used, and a black powder coated metal plate at the back had been touched up with one of those markers that oxidise purple/gold colour

couple that with the mess of wires, and i daresay you can understand my choice to send back, but, of course they tried that 20% off refund bit, even though they'd already charged 3x the cost of delivery

still waiting for refund via paypal, so no doubt they'll take some stupidly large cut again !

if this screen price was 75% of what it was actually priced at, and worked 100% as well as it should, if all the wires exited from one face, and they were a decent length (say around 4m rather that the insufficient 2m) - then i'd have been extremely happy