EBay templates HTML and CSS.... any pros with advice?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Member 114166, Aug 7, 2012.

1. Member 114166

Member 114166

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    So its been 8 months since i used HTML. I got myself a free ebay html template off the net and edited to my taste in frontpage.

I uploaded a item on ebay with this html code but all i can see is text and no background/outlines or colouring.

Im guessing it is CSS so someone told me.

Anyone know how i go about getting this working? i was told i need to host it? if so i have in dropbox but still it is the same.......

2. Dancook

Dancook
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,928
    there's usually a bit in the HTML which includes the stylesheet like this

<LINK REL=StyleSheet HREF="style.css" TYPE="text/css" MEDIA=screen>

In this example the style sheet is called style.css

You could change the link here to refer to an external URL if you hosted it elsewhere http://www.domain.com/assets/style.css

Alternatively you may be able to copy the contents of the stylesheet into the HTML page, put it between a pair of <style> tags like this.

<style>
    //entire contents of the CSS file .. looks like...
    .className{
    property:value;
    }

//close style tag
    </style>

Oh if there are images, they would be referred to in the stylesheet like "background:url(image.jpg);" in this case you would need to make sure you could host that image somewhere, and you probably could not copy the stylesheet between <style> tags

Hosting

https://www.google.co.uk/search?sug...chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=host+css+files+with+dropbox

Looks like using Dropbox is possible to host your CSS and images. :)

Last edited: Aug 7, 2012
  3. Member 114166

Member 114166

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12

What you have said probably makes sense but still makes no sense to me. I cannot get my head around this CSS thing.

The STYLESHEET you meantioned points here: http://ebayappreview.com/templates/texture/css/allStyle.css

What is this?

4. nheather

nheather
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,462
    In simple terms CSS is a file which defines how raw HTML should be presented and formated. The idea is that you just populate the raw HTML and the CSS makes sure that all your pages have the same look and feel.

The bit that Dancook was explaining is that in the HTML there should be a line saying what CSS file is to be used. If it just has the name of the file then the HTML will expect to find the CSS file in the same place it is (i.e. the eBay server).

If the CSS file hasn't been uploaded or cannot be then the HTML won't be able to find it so will just display as raw HTML.

If you can't upload the CSS file, then you can host it somewhere else and put the full URL in the HTML file rather than just the name of the CSS file.

Cheers,

Nigel

5. Dancook

Dancook
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,928
    The stylesheet is instructs the web browser how to display/style the HTML content.

I've added a bit to say Dropbox hosting looks possible.

can you provide the HTML? one way to share this is to use http://pastebin.com/ - submit your HTML and provide a link

Last edited: Aug 7, 2012