eBay - Selling to someone with zero feedback

bsmaff

Hi,

I didn't know where to post this, but want people's opinion on what to do next.

I have sold an item on eBay for £1200.
The buyer has been an eBay member for 3 years, but has never bought or sold anything, so has 0 feedback rating.

Now he purchased my item and paid within 10 minutes.
I contacted him in regards to my concerns:-

His initial response:-
"Good evening,

I understand the concern, however this is a genuine purchase. I haven t had any need to use Ebay until looking to buy this card due to the lack of availability at retail, which is the reason for the lack of feedback.

Please get in touch if there is anything I can assist with or clear up.

Regards,
NAME"

I have now had a few responses from the buyer, about my concerns and seems to have answered them.
But my concerns are still there about the zero feedback, and really anxious about sending the item to someone with 0 feedback, who has been a member for 3 years.
My other concern is he finishes every email:-
Regards,
FULL NAME.. I mean who does that?

I am not sure what protection, I have if the buyer does a credit card chargeback or they say it was a ungenuine transaction. As I am very fearful that he may receive the card and then say it is an unauthorised transaction.
So therefore what protection do I have?

I would be really glad, if someone has had a similar experience, or knows what to do in this situation.

rousetafarian

Your concerns should have been addressed before you agreed to sell an item of such value. Everyone on ebay starts with zero so give the buyer the benefit of the doubt and fulfil your commitment.

Thug

How did he pay?
If by bank transfer speak with your bank and ask them to contact the buyers bank to see if genuine.
If by paypal then wait until cleared and withdraw the funds prior to sending.

Have you googled him and his address?
That is usually a good way of finding out about someone, and may lead to a facebook account where you could also contact him. If a fake ebay account then the facebook person may be able to tell you this.
Does google maps or street view actually show a genuine address?
Ask him to email you, and i am sure if you inspect the email address it will say where in the world it was sent from.

As roustafarian stated, all of the rules should have been sorted prior to posting your ebay sale.
For that value i would say cash on collection only.

What card is it? could you not have sold it here?

bsmaff

Paid via PayPal..
I didn't really anticipate to be fair, that someone with ZERO feedback would of bid on the item.
Google Maps shows he lives in some flats above a coffee shop.

I will just withdraw the funds from PayPal and send the item and send the item and see what happens.

I am mainly questioning if I am protected by PayPal or anything if they do a chargeback, but the item has been delivered to where the confirmed address.

Miss Mandy

Take clear photos of the item before you pack it including any marks and serial numbers, then also take clear photos of the parcel once it's ready to send so that you've got a record to show the address you sent it to and that the parcel left you undamaged.
Make sure you also send using a service that gives insurance for the full amount and covers that type of item.
Two of the main reasons for eBay refunds are items not received and/or items arriving damaged so the photos and tracking number give you records to support any claims with the delivery service or eBay if you have issues.

Sandman

Distinguished Member
I’m guessing this is one of the new 30 series GPU’s with a hefty markup?

bsmaff

I got the 3080 and put it on auction, as my pre-order for the 3080 Gaming Trio X, is due for dispatch tomorrow.

Yes it does have a hefty markup, but I am not the one paying that price.

John7

Withdrawing funds form PayPal won't prevent them coming after you for it if they decide to refund the buyer.

bsmaff

Thats what I thought.
I didnt know what is covered and what isn't.

PayPal has the auction listed as Seller Protection eligible, but it the link to what it covers doesn't work and get an error.
I just want to know if I am covered if they state he is using a stolen credit card or something and then I lose out on all the money.

Thug

Personally i would withdraw from the sale, or ask him to collect if local(ish).
I would happily travel 100 miles if it meant getting a good deal worth the price.

gameover16

Thats what I thought.
I didnt know what is covered and what isn't.

PayPal has the auction listed as Seller Protection eligible, but it the link to what it covers doesn't work and get an error.
I just want to know if I am covered if they state he is using a stolen credit card or something and then I lose out on all the money.
The reality is, you're not covered.

Seller Protection generally refers to "I didn't receive the item" claims. As long as you ship to the confirmed address on the PayPal payment and have proof of doing so then you'll win any claims where the buyer is trying to pull a fast one.

But this does not protect you from chargebacks, which "Seller Protection" does not cover. If the payment is reversed for any reason then PayPal will look to claim it back whether you have withdrawn the funds or not... if your account goes into the red and you do not top it up then expect debt letters.

I'm going to disagree with @rousetafarian here and say if you don't feel comfortable with the sale then don't go through with it... that being said, if it was me, I'd take a chance.... it's an old account and he sounds genuine. Adding 'regards' to the bottom of a message means absolutely nothing, I do it often.

Gaslight

lol, seller protection. It dosen't exist really.

The buyer can quite easily get the item, open an item not described case and send back an empty box or a knackered simialr item. You will be forced to refund, if you don't, eBay will do it for you.

However, the risk of this is just the same for someone with 0 feedback as 100000 feedbacjk, as for years sellers cannot leave negative feedback, so the biggest scammer in the world can have 100% feedback.

What you should have done, if this type of thing worries you, is set a buyer requirement.

You can set it to not sell to anyone with feedback lower than 0-5 (you set it) amongst other conditions.

This post/view point is far too simplistic

Your concerns should have been addressed before you agreed to sell an item of such value. Everyone on ebay starts with zero so give the buyer the benefit of the doubt and fulfil your commitment.
as concerns may or may not be apparent pre sale, and only come to light post sale.

Its entirely up to you to cancel and refund - just choose the 'something wrong with the buyers address' box on the cancellation form, otherwise eBay will keep their fees. Bare in mind that since the summer, PayPal do not refund fees on transactions, so you will be stung with 3.4% thereabouts on the sale if you cancel.

You may get a negative feedback if you cancel.

Desmo

Distinguished Member
Your first error was selling something worth £1,200 on ebay :D

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Hi-Fi products of 2020, Plus Best of the Month for TV Shows & Movies
Top Bottom