eBay sellers and cheap Chinese replicas.

Reaction score
So over the last 10 days I've purchased 2 items off eBay which were replica cosmetic parts for a BMW. I received one which looked fine, however when it come to fitting it, it just wasn't happening. The part was too rigid, had no flex in it and the holes didn't line up correctly.

Seller was happy to accept a return at my expense.....

Second item arrived today from a different seller, another poor quality item which looked different to what they were advertising. I've attached a few pictures of what I got and what they shown it as, you'll notice a piece is missing and the 2 pieces in the middle look completely different.

I've sent the seller a message asking why he's advertising a genuine m performance part in his pictures but sending one which doesn't even match up, even if it is a replica.

There reply was, yes, you've received what you purchased in the listing.

I'm going to send it back as again its not up to scratch, they've used a misleading photo and the quality is pretty poor. So again it's me having to fork out another £14 at a guess to send it back? Would you argue this and insist the sellers fork out for this?

Attachments

• IMG_20200507_143309.jpg
    IMG_20200507_143309.jpg
    404 KB · Views: 120
  • Screenshot_20200507-144338.png
    Screenshot_20200507-144338.png
    868.7 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_20200507_145503.jpg
    IMG_20200507_145503.jpg
    361.5 KB · Views: 116
  • Screenshot_20200507-151808.png
    Screenshot_20200507-151808.png
    728.3 KB · Views: 128
Yes, avoid the cheap Chinese crap. Try SSDD and MStyle for carbon parts.

So over the last 10 days I've purchased 2 items off eBay which were replica cosmetic parts for a BMW. I received one which looked fine, however when it come to fitting it, it just wasn't happening. The part was too rigid, had no flex in it and the holes didn't line up correctly.

Second item arrived today from a different seller, another poor quality item which looked different to what they were advertising. I've attached a few pictures of what I got and what they shown it as, you'll notice a piece is missing and the 2 pieces in the middle look completely different.

I've sent the seller a message asking why he's advertising a genuine m performance part in his pictures but sending one which doesn't even match up, even if it is a replica.

I'm going to send it back as again its not up to scratch, they've used a misleading photo and the quality is pretty poor. So again it's me having to fork out another £14 at a guess to send it back? Would you argue this and insist the sellers fork out for this?
Doesn’t eBay have an ‘Item not as described’ return reason, where you can get a pre-paid label (no cost to you) to return?
Just take lots of pics for raising the dispute on eBay.

If it’s really crap, eBay may even just refund & tell you not to bother sending it back.

Yup definitely argue the case and send it back.
If they is one thing I’ve learned is not to buy cheap Chinese parts for quality cars.

I tend to get the official part numbers and order them from Germany from quality suppliers. AUTODOC is quite a good distributor where you can choose which supplier you want. They’d also do the super cheap Chinese stuff, but also proper OEM brands.

Yup definitely argue the case and send it back.
If they is one thing I’ve learned is not to buy cheap Chinese parts for quality cars.

I tend to get the official part numbers and order them from Germany from quality suppliers. AUTODOC is quite a good distributor where you can choose which supplier you want. They’d also do the super cheap Chinese stuff, but also proper OEM brands.

Live and learn, thought I could grab a bargain and get the 2 pieces for £300 saving around £280 off buying 2 genuine items. Seems that was a mistake, rather have one genuine now and wait for the other at a later date.

Doesn’t eBay have an ‘Item not as described’ return reason, where you can get a pre-paid label (no cost to you) to return?
Just take lots of pics for raising the dispute on eBay.

If it’s really crap, eBay may even just refund & tell you not to bother sending it back.

I'll check it out, when I opted to return the first item I bought last week they didn't get me a pre paid label and instead estimated a price and said it may change once I post the item. The whole thing is crap, really poor finish, lots of imperfections.

Yes, avoid the cheap Chinese crap. Try SSDD and MStyle for carbon parts.

Yes lesson learned now. I'll have a gander at those sites. I know I can get the official m performance Matte black one for £250, I have looked at r44 and autoid but they were like£370 for one carbon rear diffuser.

Yeah, carbon isn’t cheap. My grills and rear lip spoiler were about £400.

If they want them back, don’t pay return postage. You need to raise the dispute as ‘item not as described’ or ‘item faulty’ then if they won’t play ball, get eBay involved.

Not sure how much you paid, but in my experience Chinese sellers never want stuff back because the reality is that they have paid pennies for the item, probably less than the return postage.

Cheers,

Nigel

Last edited:
Not sure how much you paid, but in my experience Chinese sellers never want stuff back because the reality is that they have paid pennies for the item, probably less than the return postage.

Cheers,

Nigel

it's more that they either use dropshipping warehouses and the processing costs are extremely high for recieving returns and repackaging for them. They are primarily there just to pick and send as it takes very few staff and time to do this.

Also, as China has a subsidised (by us) postal service (meaning it costs practically nothing to send something from China under 2kg, and for us it costs us £4 to send it next door), and also if it came direct from China, (or under a sheild of a UK tracking number but it takes 4-5 days for that tracking number to become active, meaning it has come from China first to Royal Mails processing site), they aren't able to have it sent back as it would flag up their account to eBay as location misrepresentation and they more often or not cannot provide a UK address for the return.

This is one example of the very unfair elements of E-commerce in this country and how many UK based businesses can't compete on price at all.

Depending what you paid, does the quality match the price? People often on eBay expect Rolls Royce level manufacturing for 1970 Lada price's, also not accepting that the price you pay is more often or not taking into account the 13.4% commission to eBay and PayPal, and the postal charges (anywhere from £4 to £15 etc).

I am not saying you are, its just an observation.

Depending what you paid, does the quality match the price? People often on eBay expect Rolls Royce level manufacturing for 1970 Lada price's, also not accepting that the price you pay is more often or not taking into account the 13.4% commission to eBay and PayPal, and the postal charges (anywhere from £4 to £15 etc).

I am not saying you are, its just an observation.

Hi, I paid £170 for one item and £130 for the other. The one at £130 looks the part, it just doesn't fit as it should, well more to the point I couldn't get it to fit and it was too rigid compared to the original part I took off. Plus I didn't want to break it then not be able to return. Some people may have the patience to persevere but for me it's not worth it.

The one at £170 is no where near as good quality wise, very poorly made, lots of moulding imperfections and in general isn't worth what they asked for it. I beleive both sellers are UK based, one being fastlaneseller and the other being or describing themselves as genuine spares.

If they want them back, don’t pay return postage. You need to raise the dispute as ‘item not as described’ or ‘item faulty’ then if they won’t play ball, get eBay involved.

Cheers,

Nigel

As above re how much I paid and also I'm sure these will want the items back as I'm sure they come from UK based sellers/companies.

Regarding sending it back, do you mean selecting the option as attached?
Cheers

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200508-093132.png
    Screenshot_20200508-093132.png
    228.2 KB · Views: 64
Hi, I paid £170 for one item and £130 for the other. The one at £130 looks the part, it just doesn't fit as it should, well more to the point I couldn't get it to fit and it was too rigid compared to the original part I took off. Plus I didn't want to break it then not be able to return. Some people may have the patience to persevere but for me it's not worth it.

The one at £170 is no where near as good quality wise, very poorly made, lots of moulding imperfections and in general isn't worth what they asked for it. I beleive both sellers are UK based, one being fastlaneseller and the other being or describing themselves as genuine spares.

As above re how much I paid and also I'm sure these will want the items back as I'm sure they come from UK based sellers/companies.

Cheers

Yes that will be a different matter, most of my Chinese purchases are under £50, mostly under £15.

I’d still reject them both as faulty though and take it from there.

Cheers,

Nigel

Cheers

How many have been sold on the first listing? meaning others have bought and fitted it fine?. This sounds like this is just a chance of mind in my opinion and thus you should cover return postage.

The second item again if it has noticeable imperfections that would affect the look of the item once fitted, then sure, you could return this as not as described, but only on that basis. Quality is subjective.

"Doesn't work or defective" is better option as easier and most likely to win. I believe you already had communications with seller so just start with "Return this item". Wait 3 days for seller to either accept return/replacement or excuses. If return is accepted then wait for prepaid postage label which normally takes couple days on ebay. incase the seller refuses to provide prepaid labels, raise dispute with ebay or do online chat that you're waiting for return label for 3 days and they'll issue with one instantly charging seller from their account. If seller refuse retuns just escalate with ebay.

Paypal also does "return shipping on us" service upto £15 which you've to signed for. I've used few times for other online purchases.

Paypal return postage refund

Edit: oh 2 purchases. First one is defective and 2nd not as described.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom